Noobish Question for Rebreather Users!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
Well.... I would be the last person to try stopping you from stating your case. In fact, you stated your case..... I just commented that I didn't understand it and that I didn't suspect that a newly certified diver woud either. I'm sorry if you think I'm stepping on your dick for that.

As for what I wrote, if you have some objection to make on content, please make it.

R..

Please step off your haughty, high, latent horse. Again, secondary experience does not qualify you as a SME, nor does anyone who has spent years using these machines appreciate secondary interpretation*. You can trade barbs back and forth but I will not pollute this thread any further. My apologies to the posters & readers.

*Bailout, or gas sharing plans are dependent on the nature of the dive. The statement that RB's carry hypoxic mixes is not quite accurate. In rec. RB training bailout is typically backgas and air the diluent. The term bailout or safety is used for the slung bottle. Stage suggests an optimal mix to plug-in, or utilize on RB gas switches.

Typically, I carry an aluminum bailout/safety filled with air for those recreational dives. Here's a pic, of an Insp. diver carrying bailout and emergency deco. gas.

Attachments

• gas.jpg
    gas.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 84
Just step in the middle of it and there'll be more hugging than you'll ever hope for. :wink:
People will start arguments just for that. :D

Kevrumbo:
This is the way it's done on the RB80 utilizing DIR Principles (close to what you're describing): http://www.chaglandproductions.com/rb80_oog.htm

Thanks for the link.... interesting. And nice photography. I'm curious as to why the donor goes off loop to give the long hose to the OOA diver? My best guess is that it is under the loop/wrapped around the donor and so the donor needs to go off loop to unwrap the long hose. Correct?

Also, in the 7th pic, the caption says the long hose is over the loop but in the pic, it looks like it is under the loop. Right?

Compadres do things the same way. :D

The RB 80 is one magnificent cave rig. I have an additional question - why no slung drive bottle?

X

Yes and why doesnt the Diver with the problem go to his own Bailout, why is he getting OC gas from his buddy?

Damn you DIR guys confuse me..

Cheers
Chriso

Mr.X:
The RB 80 is one magnificent cave rig.
Sarcasm or honesty? Just curious! :)

Mr.X:
I have an additional question - why no slung drive bottle?
Let me preface this--I know little about rebreathers, aka "just enough to be dangerous." If the RB80 is an RMV-keyed rebreather and this is just a simple relatively shallow ocean dive, why would they need a slung drive bottle? As I understand it, their backgas is being fed directly into the loop (instead of O2 + diluent) so they can go on and off the loop whenever they wish, yes? If something went wrong, hop off the loop, get on OC, and surface.

...or am I wrong? If I am (highly probable!), don't hesitate to correct me.

SparticleBrane:
Sarcasm or honesty? Just curious! :)

Let me preface this--I know little about rebreathers, aka "just enough to be dangerous." If the RB80 is an RMV-keyed rebreather and this is just a simple relatively shallow ocean dive, why would they need a slung drive bottle? As I understand it, their backgas is being fed directly into the loop (instead of O2 + diluent) so they can go on and off the loop whenever they wish, yes? If something went wrong, hop off the loop, get on OC, and surface.

...or am I wrong? If I am (highly probable!), don't hesitate to correct me.

I love the operating simplicity of the RB 80. It's ability to shed loop moisture with regularity and it's overall positioning (horizontal) and trim in water is terrific. A few years back I had the opportunity to accompany some RB 80 equipped deep explorers on some practice dives before a deep push and I was very impressed. Terrific unit overall, albeit a little expensive for an SCR.

I imagine you don't need a drive gas (my terminology - I don't know what GUE calls it) when there is no physical, or deco. ceiling obligations. The fellas I dove with had a combo. of backgas bottles ranging from 80's to 40's. With a dual 40 combo you'd most likely want some type of slung, or drive gas. On that note, I also love the fact that the Rb 80 is equipped to plumb in gases throughout the dive.

If there were negatives in my book it would be typical SCR complaints - FO2 vs constant PO2, and on a sloppy boat ride - a little more RB to manuever vs. say a KISS, or PRISM. But overall, if I had a choice for a RB that is simple, intuitive and trimmed it would be the RB 80.

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom