Norte Coming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the typical time between port closing nortes?

Dear Ron,

Normally a norte induced port closure is for just a day or two. However, I have seen them last a week or more and that has ruined some dive vacations. Looking at WindGuru.com this one has the potential to be the same. Keep in mind that just a few degrees of wind direction has much more impact on port closures than the wind speed itself. Far enough to the North East the port can be open but from North West to North North East a closure is likely.

I think it was 2001 that we had a norte for 20 out of 31 days in January with varying levels of port closure…all the while the East Side was like a lake. That in itself was the impetus I needed to explore the east side, and figure some way to keep and launch boats off the beach.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Right now, closed, but the wind angle (as described above) is on the cusp. One might hope for it to open for 40 ft boats later today but I would doubt a full opening. Saturday looks better.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

As long as it's good Sunday...we're golden! What are the chances of back to backs? Hope we get our full 5 days of diving in before hitting Playa :)

Is it wrong that I keep thinking I want a norte day or two to go dive the east side?

Well...it's OK if you have the means to do the said East coast dive... if not, then yeah... you're wrong ....:cool2:

I think Dave said something one time about squeezing me in and then buying the drinks after?

Or I am remembering that wrong?

thanks Dave
i agree with "Sideways" "as long as its good on Sunday we're golden"
i'm flying in tomorrow

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Dave Dillehay
Can't find the commercial posting area we used to have but here goes. I think this is a public service message more than advertisement anyway.

I am posting this to help clear up the confusion regarding a change that was made on ScubaBoard earlier this year.

The reason Dave could not find the commercial area normally used for an announcement like this is that it no longer exists. It was observed in a number of forums (not Cozumel's. BTW) that the the local marketplace forums were not dong the job they were intended to do and were interfering with communications rather than enhancing it. They were barely used, and when they were used, they were barely noticed. We then piloted a change in some areas before making the change across the entire board. An announcement was made, but such announcements are easy to miss.

Announcements of this kind, even though commercial in nature, are now allowed in the main forums. Thus, this thread is entirely within ScubaBoard policies.

Obviously, we would prefer that people exercise restraint so that the forum does not become littered with a barrage of advertisements about routine services. It should be used as this was to announce special trips, new programs, etc., rather than basic advertising. If the new policy is abused, we will have to rethink it.

This post was from October in regards to diving the east side. Judge for yourself, but I feel Dave is within the policy.

Thanks Dave for your contributions and Christi as well.

I think Dave said something one time about squeezing me in and then buying the drinks after?

Wish Aldora could have squeezed us in this morning. I would have even bought the drinks!

They did squeeze us in yesterday, though. Very happy they were able to do so. It was my first time diving the east side; quite interesting. And MUCH better than not diving. Glad we saved a day of diving. And I was impressed with the service Aldora provides.

Getting blown out 3 days this week was no fun. :(

Flying out tomorrow, so I'm expecting the port closure to be lifted right around noon on Saturday....

Jefe... I was just playing with you for "Wishing" a norte on us :wink:

Is it wrong that I keep thinking I want a norte day or two to go dive the east side?
We have taken advantage of Nortes' in the past on different island. It was always a challenge, but worth the effort. You can find pristine diving.

Back
Top Bottom