North Sulawesi - Is it safe to Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awall54308

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am getting ready to book a trip to North Sulawesi. There is a US State department warning about traveling to Indonesia. The dive shop I am going with has been there several times. Am I stupid to think about going there, or should I be looking to dive elsewhere?

OK, let me take a stab at it. We went to Raja Ampat, Lembeh Strait and Bunaken National Marine Park November 04. We were in Indonesia for a month. The same warnings were in effect then as they are now. We had NO problems at all. We were told however, by the people at the hotel, that if we wanted to tour Central Sulawesi that we should hire a local guide. The people of Indonesia are wonderful. Be respectful of them and their customs, smile a lot and be friendly and they will do the same. We are going back to Lembeh Strait in August 06 and then on to Wakatobi and we expect no problems. Hope this helps.

Sandra

Sulawesi Tourist Information

I think sandrascuba says it. The US State department has a warning about the entire huge country of Indonesia because in some areas there have been problems. There have as we all know been 2 bomb attacks in Bali in recent years. I have not heard of any problems in Sulawesi. Government advice has to be over safe to cover their ***.

I spent 4 weeks on Bunaken Island off the coast of Manado in Sept-Oct 2004 and again in Sept-Oct 2005. I found it to be very safe and easy going place. Except for the ladies selling t-shirts no one bothers you. Avoid Jakarta and fly on Silk Air directly from Singapore. I am planning to go again.

If you read the US State dept reports they warn first against going at all and then warn about Central Sulawesi which is acutally quite distance from North Sulawesi when you take into account the poor ground transportation system. It is unlikely that troubles in Central Sulawesi will spill over into North Sulawesi.

The General Asia part of scuba board http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22 i
is a more approritate place for your question. Look there for more information on Sulawesi. I am going to be posting my 2005 trip report there soon.

To all: Thanks for the information. I am going to book it.

Neptun43, is there an english version for the link you have? I unfortunately do not speak or read German :)

The same warnings were there when I went in 2000. Learn a little indonesian and people will really warm to you.

Slemat paggi (phonetic spelling for good morning)

If you want a few helpful comments, let me know. I have a good book that really got me lots of friends while there.

I spent a week in N. Sulawesi late October-November, 2005. Great people, no problems.

Awall, I am sorry. Unfortunately, my English is not good enough. And so already for quite a long time I am looking for somebody who translates the website for me. Better no English site at all, than one in bad English.
If you come to Bunaken, please greet in your homestay people from "Papa Klaus"
Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom