north sulawesi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last year I went to Wakatobi and was so dissappointed at the resort that I won't pay $250 per night unless it has good air (the increased filtration systems required by Pharmaceutical grade air - as in NITROX systems) and more Diving variety. Keep in mind there are a lot of disadvantages with a land based operator; lack of dive sites, only two boat dives per day; cattle groups, No Nitrox, poor UW photographer facilities, land based accomodations; rats, mosquitos, No air conditioning, etc.

I love the Indonesian Islands and on my 5th trip to the region I'm looking at the Ocean Rover liveaboard going to North Sulawesi. I've been with Mark on one of my 12 trips to Burma/Thailand and not only is he a fine host (compared to Lorenz Maeder at Wakatobi), a world class photographer, but Mark is extremely helpful in one-on-one suggestions to improving your photography.
Ocean Rover to North Sulawesi

If you truly prefer a land based operator, I suggest KBR - Kungkung Bay Resort. They have a great guide to photographer ratio; usually 1-to-1. Wakatobi stuffed 11 of us in one group and photographers ALWAYS came last, having to wait until all non-photogs viewed/scared the critters before being allowed to shoot. KBR turns out to be where most of the local dive guides originate in North Sulawesi - they get training there and become such a valuble resource that other resorts hire them away.

Alcina
I just spent 3 weeks at Murex Dive Resort and had a great time. The staff and the food at Murex were excellent. They do have nitrox there and the staff are very good at finding all of those small critters at the dive sites. I worked on a expedition there where we where looking for new species of fish and Marine life doing dives anywhere from 100-150 meters. The boat boys and boat captains adapted quite well to are different type of diving.

andibk

If interested in Gangga/Bangka, here is a website http://www.ganggaisland.com/. Modern and efficient with a touch of home. Here is a trip report http://www.finsonline.com/articles.php?issue=20&article=68. Great reef with no crowd. Has a good mixture of lembeh and bunaken.

Santika is quite professional, but the food is not yummy... mainly food. Simone indeed has a great operation, I like the way she balances professionalism with mild mannered friendliness. This attitude is somehow trained into her staff.

just got back from lembeh and bunaken a couple of days ago. I will not go into it but if you're after the best bang for your buck then I'd go with Living Colours on Bunaken (owner is Jaako), and with Lembeh Lodge (owner is Rob). I did a lot of research on the ground there and this is probably the most up to date info you'll find here since I was just there. Have a good trip and PM me with any questions!

Anyone has recommendation on liveonboard dive operator in north Sulawesi?

Hi

I am diving with froggies at Xmas 2004...did some research and seems like a nice setup..had some very pleaseant emails from them and the main lady is seems to be very eco orintated...and they do say they run photography courses...so maybe they are worth a look if you are that way inclined...the courses may not apply but if they are sympathetico this should be useful. Don't have the www address but you cannot miss it on a search. Hope you have a good one...I am really beginning to get excited about this location..

cheesr

ric

My wife, baby and I spent 4 days with Froggies in Oct. 03. The bungalows were pleasantly rustic with water in plastic barrels for bathing and fans in rooms to keep cool. The best part was being right on Bunaken island and only 10-20 min. by boat from any dive site. Good food and very helpful staff. The guides have been diving for many years and can spot even the most camouflaged frogfish.

Thanks for froggies feedback...ructic sounds good to me...and the boat they use for miniliveaboards looks kind of quaint too!

Back
Top Bottom