Northern Channel Islands out of Ventura

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't mean to hijack and my questions seem to be relevant. Any data available on the WWW with average monthly water temps for the Channel Islands or Catalina?

I grew up in Ventura and would love to get back this spring to see the family and get a few dives in before a planned trip to the Caribbean in June.

My dives thus far have been in 78-80 degrees in Hawaii & San Carlos. Would a 3mm full suit with hood and addtional 2mm shorty work for the Channel Islands in the March-May time frame?

Thanks!

To answer your question about 3 mm full suit in the Channel Islands in March - May:

Not a chance. I dove Anacapa, Santa Cruz, and Catalina in April 2006 wet - 7 mm full plus 5/3 hooded vest. Multiple dives and multiple days were very rough.

Rent a 7 and layer up. If you move here buy a drysuit.

LAJim:
To answer your question about 3 mm full suit in the Channel Islands in March - May:

Not a chance. I dove Anacapa, Santa Cruz, and Catalina in April 2006 wet - 7 mm full plus 5/3 hooded vest. Multiple dives and multiple days were very rough.

Rent a 7 and layer up. If you move here buy a drysuit.

As Jim said, not a chance. I can do a 7/5 full for a day or two late in the year. Generally, I use my 2 piece 7 mil. My most recent May temps for Anacapa were 52-54 Oceanic degrees.

I am partial to the Peace but then they were my home shop for awhile and I still do most of my gear purchases through them so I am not completely unbiased. I like the fact that they have nitrox on board. The other boats mentioned do a fine job as well. To the north (Santa Barbara), the Truth Aquatics boats also do a fine job.

Thanks. I'm warm blooded but the 7 mm sounds good!

All SoCal divers are warm blooded. Cold-blooded people have different hobbies in LA - skiing for example. The human body has neutral heat flow in 91 F water. 52 F is a challenge. Plan for the challenge and you will have great diving experience.

I just dove Anacapa last Sunday (1/14/07). Surface temps were about 57 degrees and 55 degrees at 60fsw. I wore a full 7mil and a 5mil hooded vest. Not toasty but never "cold." The coldest I got was on deck of the Spectre; air temps were in the 50s...
Sunny but chilly!

I dive wet 7mm all year, in the colder months I use a hood & sometimes a vest. A drysuit would be nice maybe one day.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom