Northern Sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are currently planning our third dive trip to Bonaire. In the past we've stayed on the southern part of the island. We love the relaxed pace and freedom that you get with shore diving in Bonaire.

This time we're looking at renting a house that's further north. Seeing as we'll already be pretty far North, I've been researching Northern Dive sites, and looks like a few are accessible for shore diving. Prior to this the furthest north we've ever gone is Karpata.

My question is: Will getting up super early, (we're on vacation we like to sleep in!) driving 45 minutes, possibly down dirt roads, and schlepping our dive equipment be worth it? Are there any dives up there that are not to be missed?

Yep, there are....Tolo, Candy Land (there's another one vicinity Candy Land...the name escapes me right now) and Nukove are all great dives...be advised though the entries and exits can be trickier than many entries and exits in the south....

On our last trip, we were north not far from the oil tanker area, we hadn't done alot of drift diving before, and was pleasantly enjoy the mild current doing our dive going north. However, when we turned around, the current was a bit more than we expected. Made it back, but it was a bit of a swim. :)

Here is a link to a discussion of the far northern sites. A bit dated but still relevant.

Diving up north past the oil reserve [Archive] - BonaireTalk

Candyland
Taylormade
Nukove

Then of course there are the very far northern sites in the park.

We did the park our first trip to Bonaire and never returned, just not worth the time and, at least then, dealing with the ruts in the road. We also did Candyland several years later, not hard to get to and entry was ok but again it just wasn’t unique or different enough to return...yet.

Yep, there are....Tolo, Candy Land (there's another one vicinity Candy Land...the name escapes me right now) and Nukove are all great dives...be advised though the entries and exits can be trickier than many entries and exits in the south....
As @uncfnp mentioned, Tailormade

Thank you for the replies! I'l give the archived thread a read!

Carel's Vision is also accessible by shore, if you can find it. On Google Maps it's just before the road has a little 'bump' towards the sea. There's room beneath the bush for 1 car, and there's a small track towards a small pebble beach. Entry and exit of the water is fairly easy on the right half of the beach, facing the sea.

Yes, but make a day of it. Pack a lunch, water, snacks. Grab 2 or 3 tanks. Very little traffic in that area. Nukove has trash bins and lovley view.

Getting around the oil storge is a little tricky the first time. You make a hard right before the oil storage gate on the dirt road that goes around. The first time (23 Years ago) I was not sure it was the road or private property. It is a road, just make the right before the gated area.

It used to be spactacular before the big wave. Elkhorn, staghorn up near the top of the water. It starting to come back, but that stuff grows slowly.

I think we had a fly issue on year at our lunch spot. Always have some reef friendly bug spray in the truck.

Carl's, Candyland, and Taylormade are better than Nukove. Nukove is just not worth the long surfce swim anymore (after big wave) and is a bit of a chllange to get down from the rock. But is a nice lunch spot. Continue down the road and you will come to Playa Fran's, a small fishing area. Worth a quick look just to say you been there, not that far from Nukove.

Can anyone give me an estimated drive time from Karpata to Nukove?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom