Northern V. Island Dive Site Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nalfein

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello:

My wife and I recently moved to the Courtenay/Comox area from Nova Scotia. We have a small zodiac we dive out of and I was hoping someone here could give me some direction for some of the local dive sites. Of course GPS numbers for any sites would be ideal, however land marks or any other means of identifying the best spot to drop anchor would also be much appreciated.

Two of the reefs we are interested in at the moment are Maude Reef and Ford Reef both off of Hornby Island. I can see roughly where they are on the marine charts, but again, not sure where the best spot would be to anchor and jump in. I don't suppose either of these places have mooring blocks set?

Numbers or directions to any other sites in our area, would also be much appreciated.

Thanks again

Hello:

My wife and I recently moved to the Courtenay/Comox area from Nova Scotia. We have a small zodiac we dive out of and I was hoping someone here could give me some direction for some of the local dive sites. Of course GPS numbers for any sites would be ideal, however land marks or any other means of identifying the best spot to drop anchor would also be much appreciated.

Two of the reefs we are interested in at the moment are Maude Reef and Ford Reef both off of Hornby Island. I can see roughly where they are on the marine charts, but again, not sure where the best spot would be to anchor and jump in. I don't suppose either of these places have mooring blocks set?

Numbers or directions to any other sites in our area, would also be much appreciated.

Thanks again

Check out Betty Pratt Johnson's new book Amazon.ca: 151 Dives in the Protected Waters of Washington State and British Columbia: Books: Betty Pratt-Johnson
She has been doing this for a LONG time and covers the subject well.

Also Swankenstein on this forum has this web page index with tons of great dive site info around Vancouver Island

..double post

If you trust your anchor you could set it anywhere on the inside of Maude reef. Best to dive the outside where there is a small wall.

For Fords Cove just dock at the marina and walk around to the sandstone beside the store. You will find rock steps leading into the water. There is a small boat sunk there.

If you walk farther along the sandstone for about 5 minutes there is a small reef that can be done as a shore dive. It is marked by a bleach bottle about 100 meters off shore.

Also try Norris Rocks off the south end of the island. You can beach your boat and dive the North side towards the SE tip.

If you continue counter clockwise around the island you will find Flora Island. There are buoy's to tie up to on the south/inside of the island and a large wall the runs to the SE. If you go in the fall/winter I would watch the weather.

Another option is to call Hornby Island Diving Hornby Island Diving - Home and go on a trip with them. Or you could try closer to home at Union Bay Dive Scuba Charters

Have fun.

I would also suggest that you go down to Nanaimo and check out the wrecks. There is a protected one in the inner harbor and two larger ones off Snake Island. All three have buoys to tie to. Watch the weather this time of year if you do the ones off of Snake.

That's exactly the kind of info we were looking for. Thanks very much folks, it is certainly appreciated. If you guys are up this way and want to get out for a dive let us know, we're docked in Deep Bay and it's a short rip across the Strait.

Back
Top Bottom