Northern Virginia Instructor/Shop Recommendations Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alix

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am looking for some recommendations for an instructor or dive shop in the No Va area.

I will be taking classes with 2 friends and we have checked out a couple shops so far (Splash and Aquatic Adventures).

We are newbies, so we are possibly asking the wrong questions or are not really sure of the "right" questions.

You all are experienced and know the local scene. I defer to your sage advice. :05:

Any recommendations for a good outfit or maybe even more importantly a warning to avoid certain shops/instructors would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks in advance!

Alix

Check out American Water Sports of Virginia. They are in Falls Church. I bought a set of tanks from them earlier this year and have had several conversations with one of the owners. They are too far away for me to make them my LDS of choice, but if I lived in NOVA I would frequent their shop.

Alix,
What classes and/or gear are you looking to purchase? Maybe we can narrow it down a bit more and help you focus your search.

O-ring:
Alix,
What classes and/or gear are you looking to purchase? Maybe we can narrow it down a bit more and help you focus your search.

OW Certification and basic essentials (mask, fins etc.).
Hopefully from there, AOW for a start and equipment-wise....regulator, bc, computer etc.

We are all anxious to get into it, but want to make good choices.

Thanks for any help!

Alix

hex92:
Check out American Water Sports of Virginia. They are in Falls Church. I bought a set of tanks from them earlier this year and have had several conversations with one of the owners. They are too far away for me to make them my LDS of choice, but if I lived in NOVA I would frequent their shop.

Actually we went over there this past Sunday to check them out.

Unfortunately, they were closed. The police were there...I am assuming it was a burglary. Hope everything is ok with them.

Do you want to keep it near the Metro area or outside the Metro area in the surrounding suburbs?

My recommendation is Adventure Scuba in Chantilly - ask for shop manager Henry Johnson. One of the best instructors there is Rick Ducey. They do primarily NAUI, but can do PADI if you really want it.

O-ring:
Do you want to keep it near the Metro area or outside the Metro area in the surrounding suburbs?

Well, the "issue" is that it will be myself and 2 friends. I live out near Dulles, the others in Arlington and DC.

I am happy to go in closer to DC, but it may be inconvenient the other way around.

Personally, I have no problem driving a greater distance if it means I will get a top notch instructor. It's only for a week or two...no big deal.

I have been to the Chantilly shop and I liked it very much. It's obviously much closer to my house. I also just recently discovered Sterling Silver Divers in Sterling....even closer. These shops will be great for LDS.

I think at this point it will be between Aquatic Adventures, Splash and AWS.

We have a pretty good listing of the local shops up on our site..

www.atlanticunderwater.com

I second Adventure Scuba Company in Chantilly. They have a top notch program! I took my OW and AOW with Rick Ducey...great instructor. Have spoken to Henry Johnson and Scott Evans (owner) many times, both are very knowledgable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom