Northwest Airline's revised baggage weight limits...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CarwashGuy

Registered
Reaction score
From NWA's website:
Checked Luggage
For international travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean (including Puerto Rico), Northwest Airlines will accept checked luggage up to a maximum weight of 50 pounds (23kg) and a maximum total linear dimension (length plus width plus height) of 62 inches (158 cm).

They used to be 70 lbs.Has anyone tested them? Are they enforcing this? I'm going to Grand Cayman in a few days and just started packing. When you are used to packing the bags to 70 lbs, that loss of 20 lbs makes a big difference. I need some styrofoam peanuts to fill the gaps :) My large pelican case weighs 27 lbs empty! They still allow 40 lbs in your carry on, go figure.

On a recent trip to Cozumel, Northwest was weighing bags at check in and charging an extra $25 for bags over 50 lbs.

They've had the 50 lb domestic in place since last summer. We changed some of our luggage to lighter weight cases to accomidate.

When they first changed to the new limit, pretty much every piece of luggage was weighed. Pretty accurately, too.

Since then, they have slacked off a bit, but I wouldn't count on slipping a heavy piece through. They also seem to cut Elite status pax a bit of slack, but only if you're a pound or two over.

We can bring clothes, complete gear etc for a week trip pretty easily, even with the limits.

All the best, James

I left FAR for PHX last week.. wasn't charged extra for an overweight bag. On the return, PHX to FAR, a bag at 25lbs over cost me an extra $50. to check. Stupid thing was I had a soft bag inside for my dive gear that I could have packed and checked and avoided the penalty. travel and learn I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom