nose breather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divergirl

Registered
Reaction score
I naturally breathe through my nose and find that I feel like I can't draw in a full breath breathing through the reg. I occasionally try to breathe through my nose out of habit - causing my mask to fog up, my seal to break and the little bit of water to go up my nose causing that to run. any suggestions of how to remedy this? thanks all

Dear Diver to Be

Welcome to the scubaboard. You have come to the right place for information, and I am sure that many of the knowledgable people here will have good and workable solutions for your problem.

I just started diving and therefore cannot give you any advice, but I did want to note that I had the same problem. I did notice, however, that this only happens when I get uptight or excited and "unrelaxed". I also had this feeling of not being able to get a full breath from the regulator until I learned to take it easy and not inhale like I was never going to breathe again. Remember that the air you are breathing is compressed under water and even if it feels like you are not filling your lungs, you are still getting plenty.

My suspicion is that this is a beginner's problem and will go away when you become more familiar with the whole equipment/feeling/learning process. After a few dives, the problem went away for me.

The good folks here will have some better advice for you, though, so keep checking in!

gozumutti

Hello diver to be, welcome to the family here at Scubasource. Breathing through your nose is a very natural thing. From what I understand women tend to do it even more than men do. There is a quick solution to your delemna. Check out this LINK and you'll soon see what I'm getting at.

Sea you in the deep blue!

Hi there diver to be.

Like gozumutti I'm pretty new at this game, but I do know that if you can find the answer you're after anywhere, you'll probably find it here.

Have you considered just snorkelling without a mask ar anything. It really helps you get used to the feeling of breathing through your mouth and not your nose, plus you don't have to have all you gear on at the time. You can just bimble around the shallow end of a pool, or even in the bath and get used to being relaxed while breathing uderwater. Another thought is that you might like to have a look at the mask clearing thread in the women only section.

Hope this helps,

Linda

Thanks everyone for your advice. I checked out the women's forum as suggested and noticed that this was a common problem with women - so it seemed. When I went out there in the ocean I noticed this problem was less of a problem as I was just in awe at everything.

I am a mouth breather; but I noticed that when I am in the water, I breath differently. I inhale through my mouth and exhale through my nose. Hey, at least my mask stays clear.

Peace,

Bear

I wonder if after 4 years if Divergirl has learned how to breath through her mouth?

dlndavid:
I wonder if after 4 years if Divergirl has learned how to breath through her mouth?
She probably has.

For the benefit of the lurkers this is just one more reason for a solid skin-diving foundation.

Pete

Divergirl:
I naturally breathe through my nose and find that I feel like I can't draw in a full breath breathing through the reg. I occasionally try to breathe through my nose out of habit - causing my mask to fog up, my seal to break and the little bit of water to go up my nose causing that to run. any suggestions of how to remedy this? thanks all

Guess I'm lucky, I'm a natural mouth breather. My wife had a lot of problems with sticking her face in the water and really feared getting water in her nose and taking her mask off. I think it is just one of those things that requires lots of practice in the pool until you are comfortable.

dlndavid:
Not only if she learned,
Mario S Caner:
Hello diver to be, welcome to the family here at Scubasource
but I was wondering if ScubaBoard used to be called Scubasource?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom