Nose pain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Angel_diver_biker

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
At the end of each dive I do have pain in my nose. I can almost not touch it anymore. It is not around the sinus it is really on the "side" of the nose, in the "middle" of the nose...
It does not prevent me to dive and as it does not happen immediately I don't have problem equalizing.
I have enough space in my mask so it is not from a mask squeeze (well I think...)
Anyone as an idea?
Thanks in advance

Your mask itself may be large enough, but the nose pocket could be too small, which could cause the plastic from the faceplate retainer to press on it and cause pain. You might want to try a mask with a larger nose pocket.

Or you may be pushing too hard on your nose when you pinch it for equalizing.

The bottom of my nose hurts after diving for a while, due to the nose box likely being too small...

Or you may be pushing too hard on your nose when you pinch it for equalizing.

Your mask itself may be large enough, but the nose pocket could be too small, which could cause the plastic from the faceplate retainer to press on it and cause pain. You might want to try a mask with a larger nose pocket.

Thanks for your answer.
Well I really don't think it is by puching too hard on my nose and as mentionned but not enough precisely, I beleive the space for the nose is enough big.
Actually I was thinking I got some "reaction" from the sea water that float my nose because it happens only at the end of dives...
What do you think?

Thanks for your answer.
Well I really don't think it is by puching too hard on my nose and as mentionned but not enough precisely, I beleive the space for the nose is enough big.
Actually I was thinking I got some "reaction" from the sea water that float my nose because it happens only at the end of dives...
What do you think?

Let's look a little harder. A few questions:
1. Exactly which part of your nose hurts? Is it on the inside, or the outside? Is the pain directly in your nose, or is it in your sinuses (you may feel it behind or above your eyes, in your cheeks, or perhaps even in your top teeth)?
2. Are your eyes or any other part of your face also irritated after the dive, or is it just your nose?
3. What type of mask are you using, i.e. is it a new silicone mask, or an older rubber mask that may contain latex?
4. What type of water are you diving in? Is it possible that it may be contaminated?
5. Finally, do you have any known ENT (ear, nose, throat) issues, for example, nasal polyps?

Let's look a little harder. A few questions:
1. Exactly which part of your nose hurts? Is it on the inside, or the outside? Is the pain directly in your nose, or is it in your sinuses (you may feel it behind or above your eyes, in your cheeks, or perhaps even in your top teeth)?
2. Are your eyes or any other part of your face also irritated after the dive, or is it just your nose?
3. What type of mask are you using, i.e. is it a new silicone mask, or an older rubber mask that may contain latex?
4. What type of water are you diving in? Is it possible that it may be contaminated?
5. Finally, do you have any known ENT (ear, nose, throat) issues, for example, nasal polyps?

1.the side of the nose, middle of the nose, inside, pain in the nose not at the sinus, not eyes or teeth.
2. Only nose, no other part
3.Scubarpo crystal view, 100 dive with it,no idea the material!
4. Sea water, had the same pain what ever in Philippines, Indonesia, Haiti.
5. I don't have any known issue with ENT as far as I know but maybe it must be checked? Nasal polyps? Can I have that without knowing it?

The pain does not last long,it is only at the end of the dive and after out of water it goes away quite fast

Thanks for all your answers

5. I don't have any known issue with ENT as far as I know but maybe it must be checked? Nasal polyps? Can I have that without knowing it?

The pain does not last long,it is only at the end of the dive and after out of water it goes away quite fast

Thanks for all your answers

From what you've described, it sounds like you're trapping some air that expands on ascent but eventually vents out. My bet is that you've got an anatomic/structural issue, maybe polyps, maybe something else. I think it would be a good idea to see an ENT and at least get checked. I'd be interested to hear what you find out, so if you don't mind, could you follow up here or via private message? Also, if any other related problems come up, please don't hesitate to PM me or post here.

DDM is right that a good examination is worth a lot in situations like this. You can PM me as well if you want a local referral.

The fact that the outside of your nose is sensitive to the touch, that the symptoms resolve soon after the dive, that you have no nasal symptoms at baseline (like nasal obstruction or recurrent sinus infections) all make me think that this is more likely a pressure/contact issue, or possibly a skin irritation issue than something internal. Does it happen if you manage to get a good seal and don't have any water in your mask?

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom