Nosebleeds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L!$@

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Everyone :D

I just completed my AOW but had a nosebleed during my night dive and wreck dive. Both were to about the same depth of 35 feet and nothing unusual happened during the dives. I didn't even get a nosebleed for my deep dive to 100 feet! Can someone please help me understand why this might be happening and if it might be dangerous?

Thank you!!!

Hi Lisa,

Ask a Mod to move this to Dive Medicine and you'll get a better answer I think.

It is to my understanding that this happens to alot of new divers including myself. I was told that the weak capillaries are destroyed and then replaced by stronger ones. The more you dive this should go away.

Ditto, I had nosebleeds the first few times I dove. But they came fewer and fewer, untilled none at all..

You could try some Nose humidifiers like "Deep Sea" nasal spray. I get nosebleeds, also. The dryness of the air dries the mucus areas of your nasal passages.

I was DiveCon for a group a couple weeks ago and one of the students had blood from his left nares on all 4 checkout dives... , this last weekend he was back for one of the shops Fun Dives and didnt have any problems.

I recall a dive or two when I first started that I also had blood... freaks you out, but its nothing.

Thanks a lot guys :) all very helpful responses. I won't move this to Dive Medicine Hockeynut, because I looked a few things up on my own and am understanding more and more that it's okay and not a big deal. If I understand correctly, I might have also been trying to hard to equalize while descending, pushing down on my nose slightly too hard while I was focusing on breathing and buoyancy. Also, it was just a little blood in the nose space but not a continuous nosebleed.

Thanks for all the help.
I love scuba board :D

Ditto here for the experience of having nose bleeds during some of my first dives and having them just mysteriously "going away"...... Mine just stopped around dive 25 or 30 and I've not had a problem since......

The mucosa lining the nose and sinuses is soft and relatively fragile. Strong efforts to equalize can damage the capillaries and cause bleeding. So can barotrauma, if sinuses don't equalize easily. In the vast majority of cases, nosebleeds when diving are not a serious issue. If they are very persistent, it would be worth seeing an ENT doc for a good exam, to see if you have some anatomic abnormality that is either predisposing you to bleeding or impeding equalization.

thanks everyone, I came here to post exactly the same topic but I dont need to now!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom