Not a sit-on-top, but how's this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've only kayak'd in this a couple times on a trip to the Keys over Christmas. I was planning to snorkle, but the weather so cold, records were breaking. Anyway, this Sevylor is not a sit-on-top, but it is open and it has several self bailing valves. It is also strong enough in which it will not bend if standing on it (7 PSI drop-stitch floor). I haven't tried getting in/out while in the open water yet (as soon as it gets warmer up here in Virginia), but I think it may work for diving. What do you all think?

sevylor-sport-l.jpg

Sevylor SK200DS (aka U247)

U247-SK200DS-HIGH-PERFORMANCE-KAYAK.jpg

It folds up nicely and fits in the back of my Jeep.

:cheers:
Steve

My first thoughts is that there are few attachment points for tethers and no compartments. You will also need to be very careful with sharp points on your gear. Any zip-ties or scratches on your tank/tank boot would be able to so some damage. You would also need to load your gear in the water. I don't think a dolly would work well and you wouldn't want to drag it. The possibility of it flipping in chop with wind could be a problem too. I think snorkeling would be possible. Also, were you thinking of anchoring or tethering? You would probably want a coated mushroom anchor with stainless chain. Or use a folding anchor with stainless chain in a bag. There are a few kayak diving sites on the net and most recommend a hard-sided kayak.

The difference between a wide kayak and a narrow one comes out in speed. The difference between a long and a short one comes out in tracking. Of course speed/tracking is part of both features. So what is this guy talking about? Well that is a short wide kayak that won't go fast, which means it won't go far, nor track very well. If you can get the opportunity to demo one before buying that would be a good decision. Personally I would use a hard sided kayak. Or better yet...a scooter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom