Not being able to see the bottom...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best way to get over a fear is knowledge. These are the things that go through my head when I get that twinge of fear.

When was the last time any of us heard about a diver being eaten, or maimed by any creature in the PNW? (my answer to myself: Never)

What exactly is down there? (my answer to myself: More of the same thing I see here).

Basically, there isn't anything scarey 'out there', all the scarey is 'in there' (your head). I feel that being calm and aware helps too. When I feel the fear/panic coming on, I stop and give it a think. Usually my body will give me the "what the hell is out there fear" which my mind becomes aware of and answers "Not much different than what I see now".

It's primarily a fear of the unknown, so make it "known" with knowledge!

my $0.02

+1

Before 2004 I was diving only in tropical seas, where viz is usually very good all year round. Then I switched to fresh water lake diving in Europe and first dives were very scary and thrilling. Cold, dark water - viz sometimes around 3 ft. During a one of first "dark water" descents, I had a panic attack with the real "tunnel vision" effect (about a minute or two, I've only seen computer's screen and nothing around). Somehow I've managed myself to calm down and continue the dive. Then I rethought my fears and I started doing mental exercises, very similar to what Bighiller described above...

I've tried to completely relax underwater and start teaching myself getting a pleasure from bad visibility and harsh environment. It maybe sounds bit as a sadomasochism :), but it works well. I get more fun from complex and "scary" dives. But it does not mean at all, that I'm looking for troubles... Moreover, I do my best to avoid any potential problem underwater, through careful planning, good judgement and in-water skills improvement.

I agree.

Once you KNOW what is there, even if only intellectually, you have a much better time dealing with it. Your body sure doesn't want to be there (we are underwater folks), but the mind can be much more powerful. Might take some practice, but after a while you learn to use that fear for your own enjoyment. Sometimes I want an adrenaline hit or something so I do something that still gives me the willies: I do a night wall-dive, then shine my light off into the blackness. That makes my heart go a bit faster, then when I've had enough, I just turn the light to see the wall and all is good again. Since I started doing this fear inducing exercise I have found the thrill/rush/fear take more time than it used to. One day I'll no longer get that rush... then I'll have to find something else to freak me out.

When was the last time any of us heard about a diver being eaten, or maimed by any creature in the PNW? (my answer to myself: Never)

I tried that one too but then I started wondering about those divers who just "disappear" (Marty, pretend you didn't read that).

One day I'll no longer get that rush... then I'll have to find something else to freak me out.

I've been thinking of lounging about during the SI in my speedo's if that will help :eyebrow:

Im trying to decipher your acronyms :(
PNW, GPW, LOL.. what the heck are you guys talking about!?

SI!?!?!?

speedos!?!? we'll put that picture right on the m4m on CL for you Dale :)

PNW =pacific northwest
Si = srurface interval

Dear god Dale, no. I have enough pain as is, thanks! :wink:

It's funny that Marty doesn't know the acronyms for diving but he's got the m4m on CL down pat :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom