Not certified and still diving? How???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first couple of years, the group I dove with wasn't certified, none of us were. Then a NAUI class came to town and we all took it. Some stuff was new but most wasn't. We read the book, made and aquired gear and went for it. Do I recommend not getting certified, No Way. There are so many classes available today at so many locations take them and get the card.

Gary D.

One could also say that they're Cyber Divers, just pretending to be divers on the internet... :D
Ive seen this yes.....non divers pretending:lotsalove:

I was an actual, no kidding diver for 6 years before I got a C card in 2008. Why was I going to spend a bunch of money to have somebody teach me how to "dive" when I already knew how by learning from my buddies? Eventually I got a card because I needed one to get air fills. I also didn't keep a log book until this year, because I didn't need to ever have documentation of my dives, I just went to have fun. Of course, now I'm an "Advanced diver", my card that I got in a class with a guy who couldn't even swim tells me so :lotsalove:

I know a lot of guys in florida that don't have a c-card. Speaking of c-card were is mine......I think the last time i showed mine was in 1994 at Halls in The Florida Keys. I fill my own tanks and have all kinds of gear. So i dont really need it.

I know a lot of guys in florida that don't have a c-card. Speaking of c-card were is mine......I think the last time i showed mine was in 1994 at Halls in The Florida Keys. I fill my own tanks and have all kinds of gear. So i dont really need it.

Funny! Well, I can certainly see how you can just buy your own gear on the good ol' net and off you go......especially if you can fill your own tanks. I need to look into that.......could save myself even more money over time, lol!

I just figured it was a requirement these days to dive charters, at resorts, etc. I know you can NOT dive the more popular FL springs without showing that card, unless you squeeze in with a group from a dive shop vouching for you. :wink:

As I understand it you can buy all your gear regardless of your certification level, thanks to the internet or even at dive shops, the only thing you cant do is get tanks filled, however you can get the air compressor to fill your own tanks.... which can run you several thousand dollars (I just Googled the price). So even money wise its just cheaper to get certified.

As I understand it you can buy all your gear regardless of your certification level, thanks to the internet or even at dive shops, the only thing you cant do is get tanks filled, however you can get the air compressor to fill your own tanks.... which can run you several thousand dollars (I just Googled the price). So even money wise its just cheaper to get certified.

You may also just know someone at a dive shop or have a buddy get your tanks filled for you. That works too. I didn't have to get a card until I moved.

I certainly appreciate the honesty of people who chose to respond to the OP. This, however, is a potentially dangerous thread. I agree that there are some people who can "teach" themselves to dive. Given the potential dangers associated with diving, it can be suicide for people to assume that this should be done. It is a serious gamble to believe that you can teach yourself to dive or that your buddies can do the same. A competent, self taught diver is the exception, not the rule. You place yourself and your dive buddy at serious risk by trying to dive using the "do it yourself kit". Buying a compressor and filling your own tanks without training is like loading the gun and looking into the barrel to see if you can see the bullet. The potential problems that exist from a self taught diver are endless. It is not impossible to be self taught, just far from the norm to do it and be competent and safe. An error in judgment or one due to a lack of training can be fatal. Is it possible to dive without training, yes. Is it advisable to do so, absolutely not. If you want to learn to dive, get trained.

How many people here have ever been carded buying gear at a dive shop,or for than matter getting fills? I have never been checked that I can remember in 28 years of diving,have been checked at private owned dive spots like ginny springs and vortex springs.

How many people here have ever been carded buying gear at a dive shop,or for than matter getting fills? I have never been checked that I can remember in 28 years of diving,have been checked at private owned dive spots like ginny springs and vortex springs.

Buying gear? Never.

Getting air fills? Occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom