Not certified and still diving? How???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another question,who would dive with a newer diver without certification,I am not talking about the old timers with many dives under their belt,but someone new with very few dives but refuses to get any training? I have a friend like that,he says I can learn from you,I say I am not a instructor and do not want the liability.

Given the exact scenario you reference, I would not dive with him/her. There is no telling what they are going to do when an emergency arises so I'd rather take my chances with someone who was properly trained/certified.

Lets look at this from another angle. Just about everyone is saying they won't dive with an un-certified diver. Does it matter if it's not a recreational certification but another type of certification?

We went down this road a long time ago and I'd like to see of anything changed.

Gary D.

As long as they know how to dive and are safe I have no problem with diving with them,military diver,commercial diver or whatever.

So again instead of allowing debate into pros and cons someone somewhere makes an arbitrary decision and decides to censor all the others?

Its a big reason why this board lately has become less and less useful.

:confused: I have not seen a censor sofar,did you.:confused:

Any debate in pros and cons is IMO just fine,aslong as we don't go on the road of telling "new"wannabe divers,it's fine to go diving with out any training.We all know how many divers it took to get where we are.

IMO WE should thank those "old" divers,for making it possible for us to get training and dive SAFE.

You're still making arbitrary decisions and attempting to silence an alternating view point.

Do you need a certification to go diving? No
Is it a legal requirement ? No
Are there people out there diving uncertified ? Yes
Are they dying in large numbers? No

If someone decides they want to buy some scuba gear, read on the internet and walk into the sea there's nothing stopping them - its their own free will and their own decision to make. Again, all about personal responsibility.

Nemrod:
The modern certification programs are merely a consumerist engine for deriving cash flow. The courses themselves are largely without merit.

I agree that courses are around to derive cash flow, much like any other business. Big deal, that is how the world works. This does not make it the *sole* reason behind certifications. I have no issue with people diving if they are uncertified, they can do what they like, I don't think certification is something that makes one a good diver, or lack of, a bad diver.

However, there are huge benefits of scuba diving courses so I disagree strongly that they are 'largely without merit'. I and most people I know learned to dive via a scuba certification course. I don't know anybody in my family or close friendships that dive, so I am not sure how I would have learned otherwise. :confused: I was awful in the water when I first started and think highly of the OW course I did as it turned me into a confident diver from a starting point of where water in my eyes would bother me a lot :wink:

With diving, there are many things one needs to know in order to be a safe and competent diver. They can be self-taught (I don't know many people who could do so successfully but they do exist), taught by a friend/family member/someone equivalent (I see no problem with this if the friend is competent) or go through an agency and get certified (this seems to be the easiest method). So the third option enables one to learn to dive just like the other two methods, and therefore has merit in that regard. The other two options also have merit, however in many cases people who might be great divers are denied fills and things like that in certain areas for not being able to present proof that they are divers. People who have a problem with this should harden the hell up. Would you believe anyone who walked up to you and said "I am a good and safe diver diver, I'd like a fill?" If so, hope you have insurance or live in a place where suing is hard... Certification cards protect businesses who sell fills and other services to divers and the certification process helps many people learn to dive. Also I know a few divers who learned to dive years ago before cert cards were common or not required. They don't whinge and whine about having to pay a little bit to get a cert card, it's a small price to pay in the scheme of things. Most of them have been able to get certified for just the cost of the card as they are well known by instructors and have just been certified to get fills and charter rides, so they don't even need to go through a course!

Now on to certification. I think there are many things that could be done to improve diver skill after an OW or even AOW course. For various reasons that have been discussed ad nauseam on this forum. I don't see that there are huge numbers of scuba diving deaths due to poor training, which implies to me that scuba diving is not particularly dangerous. What I do see is a huge dropout rate. So I think the standard OW courses contribute more to diver dropout rates than they do to diver death rates and are thus not the terrible things that many people here seem to make out. But, like most things, there is room for improvement.

The majority of courses taught by the abc agencies are woefully inadequate. Most students are left actually learning on their own or via mentoring from buddies or at worst, resort DMs.

I have always figured there was not much I could not learn from a book, many people are fully capable of teaching themselves to dive, especially since I regularly see PadI DMs and similar who cannot assemble their scuba gear and I don't think they ever read a book.

N

I understand that being certified in SCUBA has drastically changed a lot over the years, but by today's standards how is this still possible? Don't you have to present your C card when you dive at certain places and with charters??:confused:

Yesterday my husband and I went diving at Troy Springs, and we met some other divers there for the day. After chatting a couple of minutes we learned that 2 of the 4 had just been certified the day before, and this was their first dive out. Then the comment was made that they had been diving for a long time before being certified, so they were very experienced... this was said with great bragging. Then the one who'd been diving the longest said he too had been diving for many years, uncertified, and had only recently gotten certified.

Ok, yeah I know there's no legal requirements to be certified... and you can buy all your equipment without certification... BUT I didn't think you could get air if you didn't have a c-card... so how did they do it? :shakehead:

Sadly, I guess it is possible to be diving without any formal training... *sigh*

Ok, yeah I know there's no legal requirements to be certified... and you can buy all your equipment without certification... BUT I didn't think you could get air if you didn't have a c-card... so how did they do it? :shakehead:

Large chunks of the planet are more civilised and allow people to take responsibility for their own actions so will happily give anyone a fill if they ask for it. Not every place has to completely nanny its population to stop it from doing something stupid.

As I read threads I always look at the avitars of the posters. I continue to see a lot of posters with the "Logged dives: None, not certified" under their avitar, yet they post that they have completed 500, 1,000, or more dives.

This part of the OP's post is interesting to me because I've mused about it.

I suppose that for all those who find it amusing to say they have very few dives or none, there are those who claim to have more dives than they actually do.

Either way it's an unfortunate misrepresentation. I imagine there are creditable and experienced divers whose good recommendations and solid opinions are completely ignored, while on the other hand, there are others who receive passionate advice and recommendations from people who spend more time reading and posting on this board than they do in the water.

Well, it is the internet and that makes it a bit more difficult to seperate fact from fiction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom