Not The Same Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Richard . For the most part the crime scene is non violent . It is as good as it is ever going to be . I have no issue with the petty crime . I actually like it as I pack lite and only take what I really need . The dengue issue is much more scary than losing my shorts . I am much more frightened by bonaire skeeters after a bout of dengue in 09 .

These discussions have been going on forever. There are three basic groups: (1) Bonaire is wonderful and the crime is less serious than elsewhere. (2) Bonaire crime will keep me away from the island. (3) The crime is a PIA and is a factor in my decisions, but (probably/definitely) won't keep me away.

There is a fourth group, and it is the only one that frustrates me: The people who blame victims for being victims. While there is truth in the statement that it is unwise to leave valuables in a rental vehicle in most places in the world, I reject the notion that we can ever absolve thieves of responsibility for their actions by buying into their mentality. It gets way too close to the idea that a woman deserves to be raped for dressing "inappropriately," or that people are asking to be robbed for wearing nice clothes, etc. It may be unwise to do certain things, but it does not excuse the acts of the perpetrators.

OK, I will get off the soapbox now.

IMHO, the facts are these:

1. Bonaire crime against divers/tourists isn't going to stop, at least anytime soon, for several reasons. Yes, they could add cops, conduct stings, install cameras, etc., etc. But this has been said for years. There are no new thoughts on the subject.
2. If you want to dive Bonaire, you simply have to assume that anything you leave in your truck is likely to be stolen, including shorts, flip flops, snacks and parts of the truck.
3. Either the diving there is worth the hassle of the crime problem or it isn't and that is a purely personal decision that needs no justification or proof.
3(a). There is little point in arguing your position on the matter; no one is going to change their mind.
4. Know the risks and facts, make a decision to go there or not go there and understand it is your decision and others may disagree.
5. Victims should continue to report the thefts, as a public service to those who don't know of the problem and as some small incentive for the locals to deal with it.
6. We should devote more energy to protecting the seas from pollution, overfishing and other threats, and less energy to arguing about the crime problems of one tiny tourist destination. If they would stop catching and eating the grouper and snapper on Bonaire, they can have my shorts and flip flops. (Sorry, had to get out the soapbox one more time).

My you all have a happy and prosperous year.

Well to add my 2cents, the dengue issue is far more important for me too. Got it 2010 on Curacao and it was a bitch. Been to bonaire 10 times and have not been effected by the theft issue. its there and its real and stupid but atleast I can minimize it. not so sure about dengue as i always protect myself but it happens--maybe its the same as the crime issue... can try and minimize it but s**T happens.
oh well I keep going back despite both. maybe I am crazy???!!!

Warning folks to be cautious, and to avoid leaving stuff in their truck that they hope to see again after the dive, is not absolving the thieve of their guilt. It is trying to help fellow divers and travelers avoid making a costly, or at least irritating error that could easily have been avoided.

Got dengue from a Belize trip in 2009.
Remember exactly when I was bit - on the trail to the ATM cave.
Not something folks want to experience.

These discussions have been going on forever. There are three basic groups: (1) Bonaire is wonderful and the crime is less serious than elsewhere. (2) Bonaire crime will keep me away from the island. (3) The crime is a PIA and is a factor in my decisions, but (probably/definitely) won't keep me away.

I love Bonaire and it's my wife's favorite dive destination. We've been there three times, 2004, 5, and 8. We'll definitely be back but would probably have already returned if we were not in jd950's Group 3. There are many fine places to dive, some with less worry about crime and safety. I want to relax on my hard earned dive vacations and don't necessarily want to be on full alert and guard at all times. Since our 2008 Bonaire visit, we've spent our Caribbean time on Providenciales T&C, Little Cayman, West End Curacao, and East End Grand Cayman X2.

It would be great to hear that petty crimes affecting shore divers on Bonaire have decreased. I'd like to think 10-10-10 will ultimately have a positive effect on the island. Regardless, we'll be back, likely soon, and we'll be careful.

Good diving, Craig

Warning folks to be cautious, and to avoid leaving stuff in their truck that they hope to see again after the dive, is not absolving the thieve of their guilt. It is trying to help fellow divers and travelers avoid making a costly, or at least irritating error that could easily have been avoided.

I agree, but often these threads have at least one or two responses telling the OP that if they left anything in their vehicle or if they locked the truck, then they "deserved" to be victims or "asked for it", or failed to "follow the rules" and similar. Warning people that there is a problem and how to minimize the risk and the loss is warning and helping others...telling someone who had their shorts stolen that they had it coming is usually not helpful. That's all I was referring to.

The petty crime on Bonaire would not disuade me from visiting the island. What now gives me pause now is the rough condition of the reef. Having visited the past few years, most recently in September, I believe it has shown a serious decline. Lots of bleaching, dead coral, and algae on the coral. Hopefully it improves along with the visibility because I really enjoy the island and the easy access to diving.

Are there any dive destinations that are not in decline ? Pollution it taking its toll on most dive destinations . I recall sitting in the bar at Plaza Lesa in the square San Miguel Cozumel .
It was 1990 and I was raving about the beautiful reefs . There were a couple of oldtimers that laughed at me , they said the reefs are ruined , you should of seen them 20 years ago .
Now I am the oldtimer . The more things change , the more they stay the same . I pray for the day someone says the reefs are better than they were 20 years ago.

Having never been to bonaire, this may be an obvious question...

What is the suggestion for somebody diving with a DSLR. I would imagine that i would want to bring a bag with extra batteries, memory cards, and possibly a change of lenses/ports.

I'm thinking a small locked pelican case would do the trick (i usually bring a small pelican case on boat dives with extra camera equipment) and even chain the pelican to the truck somehow. Would thieves find a way to get it or would this work?

Back
Top Bottom