not too excite about Manta Sr. reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VTernovski

Contributor
Reaction score
I got the big Manta Sr Reel (600') to explore things and not worrying baout getting lost in poor viz, but I must say that I am not too excite about the reel.

For one thing, on the way back, when you roll the line in, my hand gets really tired presssing on this spring loaded AFS system. I found this to be really annoying and had to switch hands. If I don't press on it, I can still roll th eline in, but it snaps and makes it much harder to do so, so I had no choice by press down on the springs... brrrr...

Also, I was looking for my buddy who was behind, and inadvetrantly made a 360 degree turn while kept on rolling the line in... needless to say, I jammed the reel this way... the got jammed so bad, that I had to cut it. Luckily I was already near my return destination, and I know it was partially my fault to jam it this way, but nevertheless... it found the reel very easy to jam...

If I had to do it all over again I would probably pay a lottle more and get a Halcyon reel.

VTernovski once bubbled...
I got the big Manta Sr Reel (600') to explore things and not worrying baout getting lost in poor viz, but I must say that I am not too excite about the reel.

For one thing, on the way back, when you roll the line in, my hand gets really tired presssing on this spring loaded AFS system. I found this to be really annoying and had to switch hands. If I don't press on it, I can still roll th eline in, but it snaps and makes it much harder to do so, so I had no choice by press down on the springs... brrrr...

Also, I was looking for my buddy who was behind, and inadvetrantly made a 360 degree turn while kept on rolling the line in... needless to say, I jammed the reel this way... the got jammed so bad, that I had to cut it. Luckily I was already near my return destination, and I know it was partially my fault to jam it this way, but nevertheless... it found the reel very easy to jam...

If I had to do it all over again I would probably pay a lot more and get a Halcyon reel.

:D I hate to have to be the one to tell you this, VT, but ANY reel is capable of jamming or being jammed! As the guys who teach "cave" like to say: "If you haven't had a bird's nest, you haven't been using a reel!":giggle:

Thank BigJet, I was kinda suspecting that, but I tihnk I wa smore annoyyed with the spring loaded AFS... sounds like a good idea on a paper, but didn't quite worked well underwater... I waqs also curious if anyone else have any comments about the spring loaded AFS on those Mantas.

I think it's called the "cave-cam" or something, but Manta sell an accessory for the reel that you just twist to keep the handle compressed, and you can freely reel without having to squeeze.

VTernovski,
Manta isn't very appealing as a reel.
Underwater Connection, Halycon and Diverite respectively may be better possibilities. Check'em out.
Dive safe,
Larry

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom