Not understanding the long hose thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, if I don't deploy the hose, it's not going anywhere. It's caught under the canister, and if pulled in the direction of the out of gas diver, it won't come out.

Seriously, once one has practiced just a little bit with a properly routed long hose, I can't see ANY disadvantages to it. When I was brand new with it, I was clumsy, and occasionally got it caught on things on the boat, but that hasn't happened in a long, long time.

Disadvantages ...

- You have to pay attention not to accidentally get it pinned underneath the waistbelt when donning the harness ... which is why we do S-drills.

- You do need to tuck the extra hose length somehow ... if you don't have a canister light, this can be done by moving your dive knife to the right side of your waistbelt (which introduces a disadvantage in that it may not then be easily deployable using the left hand), or tuck the hose into your waistbelt (which introduces the disadvantage of possibly coming out during the dive) ... or you can simply opt for a 5-foot hose, which routes under your arm and doesn't need tucking.

- If you are diving with someone who is unfamiliar with the setup, you will need to remember to familiarize them with the process prior to the dive ... this usually takes one to two minutes.

- If you are in a tropical destination and experience a failure, a replacement hose may be hard to come by.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So, for the recreational dive would the 5 foot hose be a good compromise?

7 is meant to allow you to share air single file while swimming in a horizontal position. In a non-overhead environment, there's nothing forcing you to do that.

5 will still allow you to have some comfortable distance between you and the OOG diver.

In the recreational environment, the 7' hose is just as good as the 5' hose (you can easily route it nicely, even without a canister), and it means you have one less thing to buy *if* you ever get into overhead diving.

Still not quite clear on this.
Which hose is logistically superior for attempting the much coveted and highly exhalted Warhammer maneuver?

The hose isn't relevant. It's the placement of the rear dump valve that matters in this instance.

I'm a rec diver and use a 5' hose. It has the advantages of the whole system without having to tuck 2 extra feet.
Others have mentioned it but I would reiterate that there are two main advantages to the longhose set up

1. More length in case of donation
2. The back up is always right under your chin.

For me the second advantage pays far more dividends. I like the fact that my backup is always where it is supposed to be.
I don't do S drills with others often but always do a modified one as part of my final check. I donate the reg to an imaginary friend to ensure it deploys as it should and is not trapped somehow.

Do we really have to keep talking about the length of your hose? LOL :anonymous:

Sorry, couldn't resist.:grinjester:

Do we really have to keep talking about the length of your hose? LOL :anonymous:

idivelonghose-1.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom