NoVa dive savvy Dr for a physical??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

momliz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi - I did a search, and came up with nothing - soo: does anyone know of a Doc, familiar with diving, that would do a physical for my son and me? In the NoVa/Md area - NoVa preferred. We are off end march, and I would feel better having a dive savvy Doc check us out. I have an app't with Dr Kirkwood, at My Vernon Hospital, and he looks good on the internet, but since he practices in the hospital, we have to register there, and it's really expensive.

Hi - I did a search, and came up with nothing - soo: does anyone know of a Doc, familiar with diving, that would do a physical for my son and me? In the NoVa/Md area - NoVa preferred. We are off end march, and I would feel better having a dive savvy Doc check us out. I have an app't with Dr Kirkwood, at My Vernon Hospital, and he looks good on the internet, but since he practices in the hospital, we have to register there, and it's really expensive.

Your regular doc would be just fine. Although it would be nice if you found a diving doc, almost any MD should be OK.

The Medical Form comes with instructions for the doctor and information on what types of things would disqualify a person from diving.

This isn't like getting certified to climb K2, the form just asks about things that might pose a serious risk, such as sinus problems, allergies, heart disease, asthma, non-compatible medications, etc.

It shouldn't be a big problem unless one of you has some specific medical condition that really requires a close look. They're mostly trying to make sure nobody drops dead during training.

However, if you really want a diving doc, you can call Diver's Alert Network and ask for a referral. Your exam shouldn't require checking into a hospital.

Terry

You can also have your regular doc call DAN (DAN Divers Alert Network) if he/she has any questions.

I just had to get an OSHA dive exam and the medical package included contraindications and any relevant info. I just e-mailed it to my Dr. before the exam so he could go over it and call DAN himself if he had any questions.

thank you both - we are both very mild asthmatics, so I figured it would be better to see a doc familiar with diving. My allergy doctor cleared us last year, but she was uncomfortable with it since she said she knows nothing about diving. But, she does know asthma, and said we are both perfectly healthy, at least as far as that is concerned. DAN did refer me to Dr Kirkwood. I'll post a review since there isn't much on the board...

The Hyperbaric Medicine Dept. at Mt. Vernon Hospital is very good. Dr. Titus heads it.

I saw him last June before I did my OW dives in the Keys.

an update - we saw Dr Kirkwood, and were very impressed. His physical was thorough, he took th time to talk to us and answer any questions that we had. He went over our medical situation - both of us mild asthmatics because of allergies, and advised us on meds to take and not take, when to take them, and how they might affect our diving. He practices with Dr Titus, at the Wound Healing Center at Mt Vernon. Yup, it wasn't cheap, but totally worth it. I will go back whenever I need a physical or that PADI form filled out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom