Now it's time to choose a wrist computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a little surprised by that.

Console ones aren't that much more expensive than the non-AI versions, but you have to have a fairly chunky console. Wireless is a whole 'nother story: radio does not propagate under water, needs clever coil antennae in both transmitter and receiver, all the relevant radio certifications and so on -- you're looking at ~$1,000 computer and a $200-300 tank transmitter. (Although sometimes things like $550 Hollis TX1 closeout, or a $250 Seac Guru with probably bum buttons, happen.)

The alternative is ultrasound tx/rx that so far has bankrupted every company that tried. Maybe Garmin will finally pull it off.

Either way if you're renting the regulators, the shop may or may not be OK with you putting on your own xmitter, so you better buy your on regs too. (Edit: same goes for console AI: on a rental reg you'd be replacing the console for the duration.)

Which all adds up to not the first computer a new diver would buy, unless they have more money than sense. And since dive computers are not like cellphones: people don't upgrade every year, there's just not much demand in general, and not enough to drive the prices down.

The Pelagic Pressure Systems transmittter has now been around since 1996. The new Shearwater Swift uses the same standard. This transmitter has proven very reliable.
I know that. It’s not me that doesn’t trust them. Just things I’ve heard. I’m using a PPS transmitter that’s almost 9 years old. It’s been working great for a while.

Apart from some early dives where I was messing around with computer and transmitter positioning, I haven’t seen an issue at all with my computer reading the tank pressure. I don’t use an SPG when I’m diving my own gear.

The alternative is ultrasound tx/rx that so far has bankrupted every company that tried. Maybe Garmin will finally pull it off.
Garmins can definitely bank roll their sonar tech and there isn't much to pull off as they already have the ball rolling quite well. On my dive travels I now see Garmins quite often.

It's not just the tx that goes in another direction, it's the watch/dive computer too. For those that like that sort of tech it is crazy how much it can do.

Which all adds up to not the first computer a new diver would buy, unless they have more money than sense.

I just saw a guy buy $3800 worth of new gear without breathing underwater yet. Hope he likes diving but if not someone going to get a good deal on hardly used gear!

Garmins are not common in SE FL, yet

Really they are still quite new and expensive to be common anywhere. Besides most people are not going to replace their current working setup unless they are in the market.

But give it time. I know that I have seen quite a few on my travels.

My impression from SB threads is people who buy garmins are mostly "existing" garmin users who dive, not divers looking for a DC. SB is, however, heavily skewed towards Shearwater so who knows.

Still, just because garmin can bankroll it doesn't mean they'll keep doing it if it doesn't turn profit. They're known for "not trying to out-Apple Apple", we'll see how they fare in the dive computer market.

My impression from SB threads is people who buy garmins are mostly "existing" garmin users who dive, not divers looking for a DC. SB is, however, heavily skewed towards Shearwater so who knows.
I'm not sure about most SB users but for me personally I have never owned a Garmin other than the dive computers.

My bet is most divers that buy them are looking for a do it all watch and it does it all quite well. If someone is looking for just a dive computer there are many available cheaper.
Still, just because garmin can bankroll it doesn't mean they'll keep doing it if it doesn't turn profit.

I wouldn't imagine any company would if there is no profit. But for it being out for a single covid year and it being crazy expensive, I have seen quite a few out in the wild.

On reliability I have not had or seen a tx fail but I have read about it. Though im sure I will one day just as I have seen SPGs fail. But like my dive computers, I carry a backup for everything in my kit.

Batteries for most tx's will tell you far before you have a battery issue. But really same goes for a simple single spg, if it fails you end the dive.

I'd say for sure the standard SPG's are more common but not necessarily more preferred. I know almost everyone that I dive with would like AI if they don't have one already but it is an additional expense to get a good setup compared to something way cheaper that works.

If shearwater (any quality brand) had an AI package comparable in cost to a good computer and spg I believe there would be a huge shift.
Good points. It'll be important as new divers to for us to remember that it's possible for any of our gear to malfunction and back-ups are a good idea. Thanks for pointing that out. At a certain point though, I guess a diver will just have to trust what gear they have unless they're in a position to travel with a complete redundant kit from head to toe.

So with that said, what would be the hierarchy of redundant gear? For me I guess it would first be anything electronic then next would be my regulator/octo/SPG kit. Then what? Mask/fins/snorkel? Would anything beyond that even be practical?

And yes, now that you point it out, I also agree that if I could get a decent quality AI package for near the same price as non-AI, I would jump on the bandwagon too but would still have to carry a SPG. I always feel that mechanical devices are less error prone than finicky electronics. Especially when saltwater is introduced into the environment.

This past August I had a brand new SPG fail on me. I was trying out a friends Perdix AI and backup SPG. When I turned the tank on both went to the same PSI or close enough around 2911psi. As the dive progressed the SPG never changed from 2911psi. After the dive I turned the tank off and the SPG went to zero....tried it out on another tank to see what it would do,,,It went to full pressure when turned on but would never go down while being used...the Perdix AI performed as expected
Thank you for prompting me to keep this in mind.

Back
Top Bottom