NSS-CDS &/or NACD Memberships,.... what are the benefits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tstormdiver,

Obviously My Opinion is biased, however in ernest

Both NSS-CDS and NACD do a large amount of things for the cave diving community, as do all the cave instructional agency and organizations such as North Florida Springs etc. Basically they (NSS-CDS and NACD) both focus on Conservation, Safety, Education and Exploration. The NACD is the oldest cave diving only instructional agency in the world.

You could join either one or both and your contribution would positively impact the cave community.

Politics?? The two (and all cave training) agencies work together more then many people think. The NACD has currently 950+ members world wide, I believe the NSS-CDS is less then this(?). The NACD has been very proactive in the last few years and plans to sustain these efforts and has reached out to other training agencies to provide guidence and develop a better relationship between the sport and tech diving communities. The agencies are not-for-profit and do a good job of keeping their members and the cave community aprised of current events. Discounts on agency products and events can be had and all monies go back into keeping our cave systems safe, preserved and open to the divers. New cave line, cave signs, landowner relationships are just a small part of which the agencies (that is you as a member) contribute towards.

Feel free to join either/both agencies, I recommend that as a diver interested in cave diving that you do exactly this as it will better cave diving overall for the entire community. Additionally I recommend and encorage you to become a active volunteer in the support to your agency. Much is being done outside of Florida as much as is within.

Rick Murcar aka GDI
VP/Membership Chair NACD

Politics?? The two (and all cave training) agencies work together more then many people think.

Good comments Rick. The so called "politics" that people like to refer to, in reality exist more outside the organizations,and is fueled by forums and picnic table pontificating. I have found that the people who throw up the politics flag have never been to a board meeting,or really seen how the organizations work. Does some politics exist,yes,I would be remiss in saying it doesn't,but not as much as people want to believe. It is a pity those people who blindly make the comment of "politics" as their reason for not joining the organizations,when these organizations have played a key roll in making sure cave diving is what it is today. If it isn't for what these organizations have done,you wouldn't have the other training organizations even able to teach cave diving. I have been a supporter of the NACD and NSS-CDS for over 15 years,and will continue to be.

I understand & appreciate your comments about the internal workings of the 2 organizations. This has turned out to be a very educating thread. The more I read, the more I have made up my mind to join both. I have found out that there is a good chance I will be finishing up my cave diver certification this coming weekend. With that, I have decided to hold off until after, just because I am on the cusp of changing my certification level. Hopefully sometime soon, I will be able to meet & get to know more people within the community. Thank you all again for an excellent discussion.

Cave divers should join both organizations.

Each one has unique things about them that uniquely have positive impact on cave diving in general.

If you separate the political struggles of some of the individual members from the
"Big Picture" of cave diving as a recreational activity you will be glad to become a member of each one. I am a member of both and have volunteered my time for both, and will continue to do so in the future.

I finally decided to join both organizations. Both seem to further the causes of the cave diver & the environment we all enjoy. Thank you all for the information. I hope to meet more & more of you all as I finish up my full cave cert. & enjoy the diving afterwards!:D

Great move!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom