Nudi ID & Mating Info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lanwu

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was looking for a couple of things....

1. the Name of these 2 Nudis (see attached)
2. I was told the floral buds on the right of both of these are their genitals. Can anyone elaborate on this? I was also told that these nudis are "dual-sexed"...Anyone have a better explanation/more info for this??

Thanks

They look like Nembrotha rutilans (might also be very similar Nembrotha chamberlaini).

lanwu:
2. I was told the floral buds on the right of both of these are their genitals. Can anyone elaborate on this? I was also told that these nudis are "dual-sexed"...Anyone have a better explanation/more info for this??

The nudis "are hermaphroditic: that is, the reproductive organs of both male and female are present in adult specimens, usually positioned closely together and jointly referred to as the gonad. Within the gonad, the two different types of tissue are arranged in various ways. The gonad is located on the right-hand side and the gonopore (where the exchange of sperm is effected) is also on the right, near the head... In most cases, two nudibranchs position themselves head to tail, so that their right sides are touching, and exchange sperm. After fertilization, the animals separate and crawl away to lay their spawn in a suitable substrate."

Debelius, Helmut. Nudibranchs and Sea Snails Indo-Pacific Field Guide. Frankfurt, 2001. page 173.

Being from an island dominated to some extent by the Wrigleys of chewing gum fame, I love to refer to this as "Double Your Pleasure, Double Your Fun." By the way, that's the sake speaking tonight since I quit work early!

Dr. Bill
A Hermaphorodite Wannabe

Back
Top Bottom