Nuvair Helium Sensor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tbone1004

Mr Speed Nuts
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Need to replace the helium sensor in my Nuvair Trimix Pro. Unfortunately it's not available on their website anymore. Anyone have any idea who made it and/or the part number?

Need to replace the helium sensor in my Nuvair Trimix Pro. Unfortunately it's not available on their website anymore. Anyone have any idea who made it and/or the part number?

I'd call them. They're pretty friendly. The number I have for them is (805) 815-4044.

when I called this morning they said they didn't have any on hand and didn't know when they'd have them in stock again

Did you ask them what sensor Teledyne used?

I'll need this info myself in about 15 months when mine is due for replacement.

From the Teledyne MixChek Manual: "This unit contains no user-serviceable parts except the oxygen sensor and batteries."
I understand this doesn't mean there isn't a helium sensor in it, but it may not be economically feasible to replace. I have a MixChek so I'm also interested in an answer. However, I'd really like an excuse to buy a Divesoft Analyzer...

nuvair tech support came back. He sensors are non replaceable as the cost of the sensor and board is the majority of the cost of the whole unit. If the sensor goes, just replace the whole thing.

I looked at buying a He analyzer recently and the only one I saw with readily available replacement He sensors was the Analox.

I’d love to hear otherwise because I don’t love that unit. Everybody else calls a 10 year sensor a lifetime unit? They must count in dog years...

If you can't source the sensor and decide to buy a different unit, both DiveSoft and Oxycheq use sound for calculating helium -- no helium sensor to replace.

Years ago I'd regularly (about every 18 Months) readjust the 2 pots in my 2 OxyChek /C-Squared Helium analysers. If I remember right one pot was gain the other was span and you had to adjust both in order to get 100% off an He tank and 0% off an air tank. 15 minutes of work and the analysers were good for another couple of years.
Sensors don't go bad, they've got a couple of O rings (replacable) and a heating element.
Finall sold them both and got a Divesoft, which has been reliable enough that having a "single point of failure" doesn't upset me.

Michael

If you can't source the sensor and decide to buy a different unit, both DiveSoft and Oxycheq use sound for calculating helium -- no helium sensor to replace.

Sorry Ken, as far as the OxyCheq sensor goes, it is still using the same thermal sensor that they were using 15 years ago. Divesoft has the patent for using speed of sound to measure He percentage, and so far, nobody has licensed the technology from them.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom