O ring Picks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanojones

Contributor
Reaction score
What do you use to dig out old O Rings? My favorite pick ever was sold by scubapro (probably made by Peter Built) that had double hook in the end so you get at the O rings really well.

It had a blue handle just like the ones Scuba Tools sells now but instead of a simple "U" at the end, the "U" was bent at a 90 degree angle to the shaft. I have tried to bend the current ones into that shape but I end up roughing up the finish.

I don't have the slightest idea if they are any good but I have been considering getting a set of these.

I always found the so called proper scuba O ring picks a bit "light in the pants" for daily work, the Peter built one is good though but maybe a little pricey?? - well here they are anyway.

I have found "Mastercraft" make a really nice tough set of picks, (I think its sold in the USA under the name CRAFTSMAN but I may be mistaken) you get 4 various models in a pack and its usually cheaper than one pick from Peter built, maybe scout around a few hand tool outlets and see what you come up with.?

Next time you go to the dentist, ask them for some retired dental picks. Make sure you smile wide and flash them pearly whites.
You'll never need to scrounge for o-ring removal tools ever again.

Widget is right . Go to Sears and get a set of 4. I work with Hydraulics on heavy equipment everyday and us these for the orings on the valve bodies. They last a long time for this type of work and I imagine they would last even longer for your application. I've bought cheap picks and expensive ones and for the price these can't be beat!

Got my pick at Walgreens. A simple hook pick in a neat carrying case (the whole thing is less than 2 1/2"), probably cost about $3 about 5 years ago. Hope the Y thingy (shadow) is working for you.

Next time you go to the dentist, ask them for some retired dental picks. Make sure you smile wide and flash them pearly whites.
You'll never need to scrounge for o-ring removal tools ever again.

An old salt told me to ask the dentist a while back and so I did. The next time I went I asked what they did the worn out tools and if they had any they were willing to part with. They said they just toss them or give the to people who use them in their hobbies and asked me what shape I wanted.

It is the best too! Too dull to use on teeth, but it eats into an o ring like a hot knife in butter and the special shape helps me as I put the new ring back in.

Please be careful with a dental pick or any hard pick that will scratch into brass. If you are digging out a hp piston o-ring and scratch the groove, you may very well develop a leak at that point. You can go to just about any welding shop and ask them for a thin brazing rod. Heat it and flatten out one side, put a small curve in it. On the other end, just leave a pencil point.

I believe that you are looking for a double hook/pigtail and you can get them at Scuba Tools - it doesn't look loke the new owners are selling that particular pick as a single anymore ($1.50) although you can call and ask, but they definitely have it as part of a 5 pick set that is only $7.50 so it's still pretty cheap.

Jackie

Back
Top Bottom