O-rings for Suunto transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Been searching Scubaboard and the net, even posted in the Suunto manufacturer forum but have not received any responses. I purchased a Sunnto Vyper Air and transmitter from a fellow member of the club that I am a part of for a very good price (150 Euros and the computer history only shows 28 hours of use in the history log). I have replaced the batteries in both the computer and the transmitter and want to replace the o-rings as well.

For the computer, I know the battery compartment uses a size 026 o-ring.

Can anyone confirm if the o-ring for the transmitter casing is size 023 or does it use a different size?
Also, does anyone know the o-ring size for the threaded part that screws into the 1st stage?...I believe it is size 012...can anyone confirm?

Thanks,
Zef

the o-ring for the threaded part that screws into the 1st stage is the same of any HP hose, I don't know the other,sorry.

For anyone else searching for this info here are the O-ring sizes for the Suunto computer and transmitter based on the measurements I took and successful replacement/use:

Computer battery cover for Suunto Gekko, Zoop, Vyper, Vyper 2, Vyper Air, Helo2 and most probably the new Zoop Novo and Vyper Novo: O-ring size = 026 (70 durometer/shore), Battery = CR 2450, 3v

Battery compartment for Suunto wireless transmitter: O-ring size = 023 (70 durometer/shore), Battery = CR 1/2 AA, 3v
(this is also the o-ring size and battery used on older Suunto computer battery compartments such as the Octopus-2)

Wireless transmitter to 1st stage interface: O-ring size = 012, (90 durometer/shore)

I sourced my o-rings via Amazon.com at roughly $2-$4 for bags of 100 in each size....free shipping with Amazon prime.

Hope this info helps someone else in the future.

-Zef

***Update***

After further research, I have found that the correct o-ring for the transmitter cover is a metric size 2mmX25mm.

While the standard size 023 o-ring does not meet the exact manufacturer specifications, the one I installed is maintaining my transmitter watertight just fine after 10 dives with it.

Another recommendation I came across was to replace the transmitter cover when replacing the batter. Official kits come with new battery, o-ring, and transmitter cover. From what I have seen, these kits range in price between $20 and $60. Th reason to change the cover is that the 4 self-tapping screws might not create enough compression to keep the unit watertight after a few cycles of loosening and tightening, increasing the chance of the unit flooding.

-Zef

Yes, the polymer can be damaged, but there is a method to keep the thread in good condition for many loosening/tightening cycles:
When closing it again, put some silicone grease on the screw thread, just a bit to lubricate it. Then, inserting the screw, rotate it counter clock wise, as to unscrew in order to sense where the thread begins, and, when found, start rotating clockwise - you should be able to do it apparently without any force - meaning that the thread is engaging the previous groove.
Do it for all the 4 screws and then just screw them till the cover goes in contact. After that, do a small tightening force.
I'm using the same cover since 10 years (5 or 6 battery change) and it is still not leaking.

Good to know.

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom