O2 compatible regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wateronbrain

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking for suggestions for a stage/deco reg to use on mixes greter that 40% I normally stay with ScubaPro. I have been considering a simple reliable Mk2/R190 ScubaPro has a viton O-ring kit for this set-up, but they do not a have a O2 compatible high-Pressure seat. Any comments?? Does anyone out there use this set-up for high 02 nixes

TIA,

wateronbrain

wateronbrain,I use mk2 r380's for stages.Here's a trick for you.Get a viton o-ring, a quart glass jar ,a 100% o2 source,and a pack of matches.Hold o-ring under glass jar with pliers,turn on o2 very low,light match,slowly put match up to o-ring, Watch viton o-ring burn!last don't worry about seat composition.Go to Techie/cave forums repeat question you'll get similar experience.I see 190's and 380's all the time for stages(rich guys have 4+ mk20 g250s)good luck

100days, how do you avoid incinerating the match and your fingers before igniting the O ring?

Hey, I agree that a little too much is made of the materials debate. The Navy used neoprene O rings in their aircraft oxygen systems for years. I never heard of a problem but always willing to learn.

I believe it is a good idea to use Viton or similar on parts exposed to O2. The tank O ring is constantly under pressure and therefore subject to potential deterioration. This is a must. As for the others, I would recommend it. Most off the shelf O rings seem to have an oily coating, probably silicone. If I found it necessary to use a nitile ring I would first wash it in trichlor and then lube with krytox.

It seems to me that most hp seats are compatible with O2. I can't see why the teflon(?) seat in the Scubapro would not pass muster. My big "S" reg, although not a nitrox as such, came with krytox lube liberally coated on the internal parts. Hmmm....

Last thought, the only regulator fire I have heard of was attributed to heavy silicone packing on the internal parts of the first stage.

Make sure you get a very easy breathing and comfortable reg for your deco bottle(s) as you will often be using them for longer periods of time than even your back gas regs. If you're going to hang out for 45mins +, you'll want to be as comfortable as possible.
I've heard a lot of highly respectable extreme divers laugh at discussions about O2 cleaning of equipment. It seems to be like another frivalous dive industry SOP, like steel tank visuals, burst disks, and what not. It can be confusing at times.

Take care,

Mike

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
Make sure you get a very easy breathing and comfortable reg for your deco bottle(s) as you will often be using them for longer periods of time than even your back gas regs. If you're going to hang out for 45mins +, you'll want to be as comfortable as possible.

Another thought is that you want all your regs to be the same - redundancy - it is also then easier to change defective parts and swop bits round for particular dives.

Jon T

There is so much discussion about cleaning when dealing with oxygen, but have anybody ever heard off a accident with dirty regs or tanks.

/Wiking

As for accidents ..... no

But if you go to your local repair place and ask too look at some O-rings from kit that has been used with >40% O2 you will then want to change them!

The shop I used to go to has a box on the wall with a complete set or O-rings and internal parts/seals from a non O2 reg that was used with 100% O2. The guy brought it in for service having used it for literally 10 minutes at about 6m. They are not a pretty sight!

Jon T

Viton WILL burn, albeit it requires a higher temperature
to ignite. Additionally, when it does burn it releases a
TOXIC GAS !!!

I have a hard and fast rule against breathing from any
regulator that is on fire.

G_M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom