O2 Kit for Personal Boat --- Questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting points about oxygen delivery devices. While it is true that a regulator can deliver 100% O2, the patient needs to be conscious to use a SCUBA regulator. A non-rebreather mask can deliver 80-90% O2 and can be used in the unconscious, spontaneously ventilating patient. The downside with continuous flow devices is a significant amount of oxygen is wasted and this may be an issue on a boat. Ideally, both kinds of devices should be available. The addition of a BVM as mentioned above (and some training to use it) would be even better.

On my boat, I keep a clearly marked Pelican box kit with everything needed to fully utilize my "ridiculously" marked 80 CF AL of 100%. 02 The reg set in my kit is 100% 02 cleaned, ready and even "green. Having both an on demand only 02 reg set with 2nd stage and standard inflator hose allows my kit (which includes a ResCuEAN) to accommodate multiple scenarios for both conscious or unconscious divers and even multiple divers simultaneously. I'm also considering adding another slightly weighted 2nd stage on a 20 - 25ft hose to allow for an additional 02 delivery option to a conscious diver at 15ft.

The main takeaway for me here is that the dedicated 80AL gives me a very "healthy" quantity of available 02. And I also have a viable option to access any other 02 only or other various enriched tanks that may happen be onboard...

5lXefKR.jpg

9oiAYH9.jpg

OY4btqe.jpg

n26gQgF.jpg

uOfDpPY.jpg

kwysRaS.jpg

Interesting points about oxygen delivery devices. While it is true that a regulator can deliver 100% O2, the patient needs to be conscious to use a SCUBA regulator. A non-rebreather mask can deliver 80-90% O2 and can be used in the unconscious, spontaneously ventilating patient. The downside with continuous flow devices is a significant amount of oxygen is wasted and this may be an issue on a boat. Ideally, both kinds of devices should be available. The addition of a BVM as mentioned above (and some training to use it) would be even better.
If you want to have the option to ventilate then spend the money and get an MTV-100. If patient is breathing on their own then it acts as a demand regulator but you can press the button without risk of overinflating lungs.

Scuba regulator on an AL40 with O2 and a RescuEAN gives you all of the flexibility you need on a boat without the hassle of dealing with filling medical oxygen bottles or worrying about where to store pelican cases since the medical regulators don't like being exposed to salty air

If you want to have the option to ventilate then spend the money and get an MTV-100. If patient is breathing on their own then it acts as a demand regulator but you can press the button without risk of overinflating lungs.

Scuba regulator on an AL40 with O2 and a RescuEAN gives you all of the flexibility you need on a boat without the hassle of dealing with filling medical oxygen bottles or worrying about where to store pelican cases since the medical regulators don't like being exposed to salty air
I have an MTV on the boat and the ol DAN lungpopper 5000 as well. The latter is a backup or to feed a second diver. Those MTVs are damned expensive.

I have an MTV on the boat and the ol DAN lungpopper 5000 as well. The latter is a backup or to feed a second diver. Those MTVs are damned expensive.
fact, they are great for questionable breathing autonomy though, plus you can ventilate as an individual rescuer much easier than a bvm while doing compression. I have a small med bottle with mtv100 in the truck at all times for that purpose but any larger scale is just easier with scuba tanks

Pelican is basically not an option. Maybe a padded backpack? Drybag? Need something with quick access but relatively decent protection from the elements.
20231208_094715.jpg
These cordless tool bags can be handy for stuff.

After looking at all the nice kits
Here is my abortion that I made back in the day, with my spare tools and save a dive kit.
Might be time to make something better on the O2 side,
20231208_094554.jpg20231208_094509.jpg

Attachments

• 20231208_094459.jpg
    20231208_094459.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 40

I always womdered what those are for. We don't use them in EMS, and I think I have only seen them in DAN kits.

I always womdered what those are for. We don't use them in EMS, and I think I have only seen them in DAN kits.
yeah in EMS you're rarely expected to do compressions on non-breathing patients solo and you're also not having to quite idiot proof ventilations which is helpful

After years of spending way too much on oxygen setups, including the DAN kits and MTV valve, I finally went as cheap as possible setting my O2 setup up for our personal craft. I bought some used E cylinders off craiglist for $5 apiece. A nursing facility was selling them off after some their patients went into hospice. They were out of hydro and already filled so I verified the O2 content with the dive shop analyzer to ensure it was O2. If I use the tanks for an emergency, I will likely donate them or recycle them for scrap rather than have them hydro'ed since I can buy the same filled tanks again for $5 apiece rather than paying $50 for a hydro and another $15 to get them filled.

I found some 15lpm non-DISS outlet regs on EBay, so I can accommodate two divers on two separate cylinders. Non-RB masks were $5 apiece from an online CPR supply store. I used an old canvas bag I had laying around, scotch guarded it and put everything in the bag, which is kept in a cabinent on the boat. I also bought some clear tubing and threw in some CPR masks with inlet valves into the bag that I had left over from a CPR class for CPR oxygen. The entire setup cost me around $60. It will work for 99% of the diving we do.

Pelican cases are nice but way too expensive. I tried to keep mine as simple as possible.

The DAN kit is nice but way overkill for most people. MTV isn’t necessary unless you are way offshore, or you are teaching a DAN course. They price out at about $500 apiece and require annual reg service. Way too much hardware for most people. A simple set up as described above works much better in most circumstances.

I used the DAN kits for years since I was a DAN IT. They work really well for class but the non-standard tank is too small of capacity for most of the diving I do. Plus, it is a HUGE pain in the ass having a non-standard tank for various reasons. Unless you are able to fill your own O2 tanks from a supply bottle, I don't like the DAN non-standard tank.

If you are more than an hour offshore, you can add components, but that adds complexity and cost. Most of the time, if we are more than an hour offshore, we are going on a commercial boat and they have their own oxygen onboard. We either supplement that by 1) bringing our own kit along with us or 2) confirming what their setup is and that it will work for the dives we do. Worse case scenario. Buy another couple of $5 tanks off ebay and bring them along with you in case you need them.

The key thing is to have pure oxygen available. Whether teaching classes or just diving on your own. Pure oxygen early on is a magic elixir for most diving maladies. DCS doesn't care if you use an MTV valve or have a hard case.

Most of the setups shown on here are really nice but way too expensive for my taste. I would rather spend $600 towards a dive trip somewhere really cool than on an oxygen setup. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom