Oahu diving suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the clarification. I think that we are actually on the windward side (north end of Kahana Valley State Park) and we are about 23 to 24 miles from both Deep Ecology and Aaron's. We aren't conveniently located near any dive shop. Since Aaron's is actually closer according to google and we can save around $50 or more I'll probably go with them.
Thanks for all the great input and advice!

If you're over by Kahana, Aaron's will indeed be a much closer drive. Presently, they are the only dive shop on the windward side. Although the distance might be similar, the road around the north end of the island doesn't move very fast.

Due to the geology of the island & prevailing weather conditions, there is basically no recreational scuba diving on the windward side of the island. Kahana is beautiful but it's one of the least convenient places for divers to stay! To dive the south shore wrecks, you will have to book a charter with one of the dive ops (Aaron's is probably the easiest if you can meet them at their shop in the morning). I have no experience diving with Aaron's, but as a dive shop they are excellent - the shop is very well run and their staff is top notch. If they are as good in the water as they are in the store you'll be in good hands.

For shore diving, it's worth a day trip to Shark's Cove - it's good for night diving too so you can stay late & do a dive after the sun goes down after you're familiar with the area. There are two dive shops in Haleiwa you can rent tanks from - Deep Ecology and Surf & Sea. Both are good. Or, you can borrow tanks from Aaron's if you do a charter with them and do shore dives the next day (this would save time since it's a bit of a drive from Shark's Cove to Haleiwa and back). Kahe Point is a very long drive from where you're staying and Shark's Cove is much nicer IMO.

Hope this helps.

I guess I'd need more information to give you a detailed recommendation, and if you'd mind answer the following questions I am sure people can give you more targeted advice:

Will you be renting a car?
Are both of you certified OW divers?
Will you bringing your own gear? If so, what gear are you brining?
Do you want to go on guided dives or just rent gear and go on your own?

I recommend going with an organization that specializes in the area or type of diving you want to do. Anything on the North Shore I'd have to go with Deep Ecology. All of the instructors and dive masters have a ton of north shore diving expertise and it is a very safe, very friendly group to dive with.

South Shore or wrecks? I'll have to plug my buddy Gabe at Kaimana divers. Check out their reviews on Tripadvisior or Yelp. These guys do Oahu diving right and have a lot of experience. I've also not seen anyone walk away from a dive with Gabe or Drew not completely happy.

There really isn't anywhere on Oahu that is far from any other area so I'd go with the experts on the type of diving you plan to do. If you're just renting gear I'd still go with Deep Ecology because as far as I know have the lowest prices on the island.

Regardless of which operation you choose I hope you have a great time diving our island!

Michael

Honestly? your in north shore but want to dive wrecks? keep it simple. Tyler at Deep Ecology will be able to take you there. which will also cover the transportation issue. thats as simple as it gets.
There are some awesome shore dives in north shore. and theres nothing stopping you from renting some tanks and going it that way. but I would say get a local dive op from the area that knows the dives.

You should also think about this...while Aaron's Dive Shop might be closer to where you are...don't forget to include the distance to the dive site. If you're planning on doing shore dives at North Shore, a drive to Aaron's then back to North Shore is quite a distance compared to renting from Deep Ecology in Haleiwa. Ocean Concepts in Waianae is also a short distance (less than 10 miles) from Electric Beach (Kahe Point).

I have been on a few dives with Aaron's and I like them a lot. Even though we live in Kailua, we met the van at the dive site, which is an option whether or not you are renting your own equipment. It was easier for us since we just loaded the gear in the car and headed out....Plus we didnt have to wake up as early. I am assuming you have a rental or a car you can use since you will be on the Windward side. Take a drive to the shop, chat up the staff and they can bring all the equipment to you at the dive site should you go with that option.

There are some great shops and not so great shops on the island. Swing by and talk to the staff in the shop and make up your own mind. We did and we ended up having some great dives (shore and boat) with them. I consider some of them friends now. We are beginner divers and they made us feel at ease and made sure we were comfortable. They actually made me want to get more involved in the scuba community. Enjoy your time on the island no matter who you choose. Aloha.

We also dove with Aaron's over Christmas and I have no complaints. We saved money with them because they gave us a multi-dive discount and they threw in the Nitrox and wetsuits for us. (We had everything else.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom