Oahu/Honolulu dive shop recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

• They offer shore dives in Hanauma Bay (what we want to do)
  • They have 1 guide/instructor for every 4 divers (sounds good, especially for the newer diver in our group)
  • They have a free shuttle (so the others in our group can use the rental car when we’re diving)
  • They own their own boat (always better than sharing someone else’s boat)
I noticed you mentioned Hanauma Bay a couple of times now. When I first moved to Oahu, my wife and I went to Scuba Hanauma Bay, and I’ve got to tell you, you can see almost as much snorkeling there as you can scuba. Because of the topography of the bay, if the water isn’t clear enough to see everything you need snorkeling, you probably don’t want to be diving either.

I know a couple of filled have already mentioned Island Diver Hawaii / Honolulu Scuba Company, and for what you’re asking for, I agree that they’re probably your best bet. My family (me, wife, and 10 year old daughter) have done about 60 dives with them, and have always been satisfied with their level of attentiveness, safety, and direction. If you’re concerned about wanting to make sure new divers have enough one-on-one observation/direction, just let them know ahead of time and they’ll make sure your guide is aware. Another perk of diving with IDH/HSC is that they have multiple instructors on every boat in addition to any dive masters, so they’re very experienced at dealing with newer divers.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked up those shops and they’re definitely on the shortlist.

Our plans have changed somewhat. Looks like my sister has decided not to certify on this trip, although she might still do an easy discover dive at Hanauma Bay if that’s possible. We now have another certified but newer diver coming with us so that again complicates things a bit. Maybe I should not be so concerned about trying to find the best possible diving experience for them, although for some reason I feel responsible? Anyhoo...

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with Living Ocean Scuba? Some things that piqued my interest in this shop are:
  • They have 1 guide/instructor for every 4 divers (sounds good, especially for the newer diver in our group)
  • They have a free shuttle (so the others in our group can use the rental car when we’re diving)
So, what do you think?
I went out with Living Ocean a couple times October before last... I was only doing shallow reef dives. I was very impressed with hiw they ran things... No pressure, super chill. At Hanauma Bay even an air hog like me got over an hour on the dive.... Largely because it is shallow, but it was also just a really fun dive with lots to see.
Logistics wise, I booked online, then the confirmation email included map and where to meet (at the marina for the boat dives, at the park for Hanauma Bay). There boat isn't what I'd call a cattle boat, and they didn't mention a time limit on dives (at least that I remember), just agreed on turn pressures. It was very much a guided, nearly valet experience... They'll set up your gear if you let them, or not if you don't want them too.
Just my experience, for what it's worth.
Respectfully
James

Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked up those shops and they’re definitely on the shortlist.

Our plans have changed somewhat. Looks like my sister has decided not to certify on this trip, although she might still do an easy discover dive at Hanauma Bay if that’s possible. We now have another certified but newer diver coming with us so that again complicates things a bit. Maybe I should not be so concerned about trying to find the best possible diving experience for them, although for some reason I feel responsible? Anyhoo...

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with Living Ocean Scuba? Some things that piqued my interest in this shop are:
So, what do you think?

Sounds good..however, there are no boats at Hanauma Bay so that must be for somewhere else. This is a great place dive and I have only done it early in the mornings. In saying that, be prepared for a long surface swim out (eco friendly sun screen necessary), but you can dive almost all the way back. Definitely a good idea to go with a guide for the first time or two. I could do Witches brew (I think I remembered that correctly) every weekend. And sometimes you get to meet a neighborhood monk seal. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Living Ocean Scuba. Have a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom