Oahu in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mccabejc:
Gonna be in Waikiki from August 9 - 17, and I want to take the non-diving family somewhere with great snorkeling, where I can also do some nice easy shore dives. I was initially thinking of going to Hanauma Bay, but I was there last year and was very disappointed about the sad state of the reef compared to my last trip back in the 1980's. Not much marine life, and too many maroons walking on the reef. :bash:

Anyway, sounds like my best bet is to go to the north shore and hit places like Shark's Cove and Three Tables, is that right? I'm sure the family would get a big thrill from snorkeling with turtles. Any other recommendations? Also, anyone wanna hook up and do some diving that week? Thanks much.

Aloha!

Glad to hear you are coming to Oahu.... Lots to do for the diver and non-diver alike.

Yes you are 100% right- Sharks Cove on the North Shore would be a great choice. Some very good snorkeling, good fish life, rock jumping, and yes outstanding diving. Of course- you will need to check the weather prior - I use www.surfnewsnetwork.com to get a good pulse on the conditions island wide. Over memorial day weekend, did 3 dives there and had over 100 ft of vis each dive!!!!

As a second choice- Electric Beach on the West shore is a fair snorkeling site ( a bit deep w/ a fair surface swim)- But it too is a great dive spot.

I do suggest that the avid diver get at least one wreck dive in and to keep you out of trouble with the family.... you would be back in the hotel before noon!

The wrecks on Oahu's south shore are simply incredible. If you only get one, shoot for the YO-257! That is an outstanding dive!

As far as hooking up to go diving, we are always up for diving!
Let me know if you need any further information!

Enjoy~

Chris

Okay, vacation time is almost here !!! We're leaving for Waikiki this Tuesday (Aug. 9), and I think we're scheduled to do a helicopter tour on Wednesday. After that I'm free to do some shore diving (I'm thinking Shark's Cove or Three Tables). Anyone wanna join me ? We have no firm plans for Thursday thru Monday, though I'm assuming that a weekday might be better for these spots. My first time diving on Oahu, so if someone wouldn't mind showing me around I'd really appreciate it. My wife and the kids will be doing snorkeling.

Looks like the surf should be pretty flat this week according to the swell models. How have conditions been?

Also, what's a good dive shop in Waikiki where I can rent tanks, maybe a digital UW camera, etc.?

Thanks.

mccabejc:
Okay, vacation time is almost here !!! We're leaving for Waikiki this Tuesday (Aug. 9), and I think we're scheduled to do a helicopter tour on Wednesday. After that I'm free to do some shore diving (I'm thinking Shark's Cove or Three Tables). Anyone wanna join me ? We have no firm plans for Thursday thru Monday, though I'm assuming that a weekday might be better for these spots. My first time diving on Oahu, so if someone wouldn't mind showing me around I'd really appreciate it. My wife and the kids will be doing snorkeling.

Looks like the surf should be pretty flat this week according to the swell models. How have conditions been?

Also, what's a good dive shop in Waikiki where I can rent tanks, maybe a digital UW camera, etc.?

Thanks.

Sorry, but this past weekend my 1st stage finally got the nerve to comment about my diving (or lack thereof) and started hissing bigtime at me. Hope it's not a mort but at it's age....

Shark's Cove and environs is prime on a slack tide. It was this past weekend morning. But by this coming weekend, things will reverse and so the viz and surge conditions might not be so good. The fish count was kind of disappointing close-in, on the Sunset Beach side of the Cove. It was a little better about 100yds out, coming from the firehouse on the other side. There's usually two resident schools of convict tangs (manini), numbering 70 or so, at the cove. I use these to gauge the health of the cove. This year doesn't seem to be good; I only saw one school and the count was way down. I don't recommend snorkeling there unless you're comfortable down around 25-35ft because the good stuff tends to be near the bottom; the viz tends to clear under 15ft. Young kids might enjoy splashing around in the lagoon however -- be very careful of the sharp rocks and sea urchins, the most common are the rock-borers which hunker down in pockets in the rocks. Eels are almost never a problem in the lagoon. Otherwise, see my earlier comments.

A helicopter tour is nice; I see a lot of the Makani Kai birds along Waikiki. There's also a seaplane op on Lagoon Drive (Island Seaplane?); they have a circle-island gig.

Some friends rented some stuff at South Seas Aquatics, located in the shops behind Planet Hollywood on Kalakaua Ave (in what us oldtimers call the "Mitsukoshi Building"). The prices are apparently quite good; even better with military discounts.

My wife and I are planning to take the dog for a little swim in the Sharks' Cove lagoon this Thurs morn, around 9:00ish (yeah, no dogs allowed but what the heck). Or we might be on the far right side, splashing out at the shelf. Come over if you see us and I'll be happy to give a quick brief on the place. Oh, stop by Laniakea beach and see if the turtles have hauled out for some sun -- coming up from Haleiwa, Laniakea is the first big view of a beach, there'll probably be a lot of vans and cars parked on the inland side, with tourist-types running across the road.

bluemagoo:
Laniakea is the first big view of a beach, there'll probably be a lot of vans and cars parked on the inland side, with tourist-types running across the road.

Aargh - they drive me nuts when they dart across the road! I can understand the impatience, because sometimes the line of cars goes on forever - but it's really dangerous for them to be running across like that.

mccabejc - sorry, I can't dive during the week. During the week is the best time for the North Shore - but if you decide to attempt it over the weekend, just make sure you get there early - at least between 8 and 8:30.

...and if things get really desperate at Shark's Cove, there's always tidepooling (.jpg)....

24.gif

I snorkeled in Hanauma pretty long ago, but it was reasonably nice if you swam out far to get well past where people are stomping on the reef. Besides more life, you aren't cringing every minute when you see someone trashing the reef.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm in Honolulu right now, and it looks like we're going to head to the north shore tomorrow morning and spend the day there. We'll probably start at Shark's Cove really early (before 8am if possible), and I'll try to rent some tanks in case anyone wants to join me. PM me and I'll check my mail tonight again.

I LOVE THIS PLACE !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom