Oahu in January 2007 questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom_n_tacoma

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi all,

We are going to be on Oahu in January 2007 and want to do some dives there and have a couple questions (We both have advanced underwater certification (NAUI) and will have about 20 dives each by the time we get there). We will bring our own basic gear: BCD, regs, gauges, mask, fins and wetsuits.

1) What type of wetsuit(s) would you recommend? Shorty or fullsuits? I assume 2-3mm is fine.

2) We will only be on Oahu and not any other islands. We want to book some dive trips with local operators and would like to know of some good ones, so got any recommendations? We'd like to see some cool stuff of course! We would probably want to book at least a couple of two-tank boat trips.

Thanks!!!

Tom

I sometimes wear a spring suite ( i guess thats a shorty?) Just half leg and half arm and i think its 2mm. I usualy go without the suite and just go with boardshorts and short sleeve Thermo body cover. The water temp is usually pretty warm even at 100ft and with less suite, less weight. Although my girlfriend/divebuddy has to wear a 7mm full suite cause she gets cold just looking at icecubes. :) Most people i see are wearing a full 2mm-3mm suite.

For boat dives i have only been with one op. Island Divers Hawaii. http://www.oahuscubadiving.com/index.php?

They have a great crew and do dives both from Hawaii Kai and Waikiki side. You should try and do a boat dive from each. All the DM's are very informative about each site you go to, and of course they are very professional and friendly. If you dive from the hawaii kai side, they just opened a new dive shop right by the boat dock. They have been taking pictures during the dives then showing them afterwards on a big plasma tv. Its pretty fun. Of course they have the van to pick you up, if needed. And have all the gear you would need.

If you dive with them on the Hawaii Kai side you should have the pleasure of diving with Captain Joe on the NoriZ. He is simply awesome and always makes the boat dives a fun experience. Plan on listening to oldies and classic rock while taxiing out and during your surface interval. They are usually on "island time" when going out from Hawaii Kai, which makes the shop location key because you can just chill out inside and talk dive storys.

3 mm or 5/3, I don't get cold easy and a 3mm is not enough. Wife needs a 7mm

All depends on you. I have been diving a 3mm for the past few years, but think I might soon be ready for a 5mm. The temps should be in the lower to mid 70's in January. What temps do you usually dive in and what do you wear?

I'm diving in Puget Sound and wear a dry suit. I've worn a 7mm wetsuit here before but that makes multiple day dives a little cold-brrrr!

Well, I would guess you would be toasty warm in your 7mm....:D

Have dove there in Jan for the last several years. I've always used a 3mm or 3/5mm and been fine. The only time I was at all uncomfortable was on one trip where it rained the entire time. With the wind and rain got chilled on the SI.

BUT, recommending a particular thickness of exposure gear is like recommending a restaurant. What is good is all personal.

Same goes for operators. Like everywhere I suppose there are good operators, so-so operators and horrible operators. Which class a particular operator is placed in by a particular person depends on the style and needs of that person. So, an email exchange or telephone conversation with likely prospects is in order.

Tom,

I dive with a full 3mm suit and I get cold! If you bring your 7mm, you will be very warm and you won't have to adjust your weighting. I've seen people dive here with dry suits and without anything except shorts.

January may be a different story. I haven't dived here in January. In fact, I shouldn't be giving any opinions with the few dives that I've done here. But, the more information, the better.

Chris

OK,
I am the opinion to call around. I have gone with three and loved them all for different reasons and different places at different times of the year. In no particular order:
1. Ocean concepts
2. Island Divers
3. South Seas Aquatics
In the big pictrure, call around and see what each is gonna offer and see what suits you best.

I wear a 3mm most of the time, and thats only to make sure i don't get banged up.

Manny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom