Oahu in Nov. - Military discounts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishb0y:
Also a while back OC tried to get my dive club shut down (I guess it is tough to compete with a group of people who offer $5 boat dives even though we sell no gear). Its kinda funny that a lot of local dive shops say we have bad air, even though we have our air tested at the same place as them.
Never had a problem with using air from tank filled at the hut. Didn't know this was an issue. I do know a while back there was some issures with air, but that was years ago.

fishb0y:
Like Rugbydiver said, check out our website, we may have a club dive scheduled for the weekend you are here. No one will carry your tanks for you (I may if I see some cash), but with the money you save on the dives ($20 vice $160ish for 2 divers) you can get yourself a nice dinner. You would also need a temporary membership (anywhere from $15-45 depending on how much gear you need), but you won't need to rent gear or pay for air if you want to do a couple of shore dives.

Just a side note, I would pay a premium to dive with anyone besides OC.

Thanks, we'll definitlely check out your website. The price sounds right for fun diving. We're fine to do all the normal things to do for getting ready to dive.

Funny thing about OC, I haven't heard a word regarding my question sent earlier this week. Both Oahu Scuba Divers and AAA Dving responded. Oahu Scuba gave a very comprehensive response in a quick manner. I like that.

You want to have a great stay - plan a trip to Kilauea Military Camp at Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island. Fly into Hilo and hte camp bus picks you up. You get an awesome cabin with a fire place - probably nothing special if you're in Alaska.
You can hike the eastern slope of Moana Loa right from the roadside too - guys used to fly over from Oahu, climb the mountain for 3 days or so, then fly back.
Navy stewards run KMC so you'll get all the SOS you can handle at breakfast.

Tom;
We did the military cabins a few years back on the big island. They were nice. We'll probably plan another short vacation to Hawaii next Fall. It's an inexpensive and close flight. As far as a fireplace, I could use one right now. It didn't get over 67F today.

Randy8876:
I got certified through them and promptly started going to another shop. And I paid more at the other shop, but felt it was worth it. My reason was customer service that I didn't feel was up to par, just curious what yours was.

Yep, same story here. I pay a little more for training, but about the same to less on gear at my shop. It is worth it though because I felt the exact same way about the customer service at OC. It is like they think since your military and their on a military base that you have no choice so it doesn't matter how they treat you.

rockjock3:
Yep, same story here. I pay a little more for training, but about the same to less on gear at my shop. It is worth it though because I felt the exact same way about the customer service at OC. It is like they think since your military and their on a military base that you have no choice so it doesn't matter how they treat you.

Amen.

Looking through the threads I find that I was not alone on how Ocean Concepts treats people. Called the shop at Kaneohe yesterday to check into diving for a week while I'm out there in December and was treated like I was an annoyance. Very rude and not willing to answer short and direct questions. Check my thinking, but a guy that calls up to book five days of diving has a right to ask a few questions about the operation and what conditions to expect.

Needless to say, even though I will be staying on base, I will be looking for another dive op in Kailua. Does anyone have recent experience with Oahu Dive Center or anyone else in the Kaneohe area?

Water temp should be around 30 degrees warmer than here, that will be sweet.

thanks - Toby

Personally, I like Aaron's. They are just right around the corner from ODC and have GREAT customer service and discounts to military too! Kirsty always treats me like a queen!

I've now went diving with Kaimana divers and they are great too!!! Gabe is friendly, funny, and an all around great guy!

Personally, I like Aaron's. They are just right around the corner from ODC and have GREAT customer service and discounts to military too! Kirsty always treats me like a queen!

Do they have discounts for former military? What kind of proof would they need?

Back
Top Bottom