Oahu trip report 27-30 May 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDave65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Recently returned from a short trip to Oahu that included three days of diving with the Honolulu Scuba Company. Ran into them by accident down at Kewalo basin while I was looking for another dive shop that could not accomodate me.

Did three days of diving the wrecks; Sea Tiger one day and the YO-257/San Pedro the next two days.

Overall the diving was excellent! Vic was my dive leader on all three days and did a superb job of leading us on both the wreck dives and the shallow reef dives. He's a great guy with superb diving skills and people skills....he was able to manage the lower skilled divers without impeding my dives and was familiar enough with all the dive sites to find and point out stuff I would have missed.

Visibility on the wrecks was very good, usually 70-80 feet with minimal current. On the second day of diving on the YO-257, the Atlantis sub was taking tourists and for the first time ever I had a chance to see the sub in action! The sub is only about 10-15 feet away from the sides of the wrecks so you really get a close up view, and when I saw Vic doing a little dance for them I had to join in with my own version of the underwater Hula for all the tourists in the sub waving at us and taking pictures.....I'm sure I will be seen all over the world, now, maybe even on some you-tube posting!!!! I was laughing so hard I almost choked on my reg!!

Tons of turtles on the wrecks and in the turtle cleaning areas of the shallow dives; more turtles than I had ever seen before, as many as 5 at one time in some spots.

Capt Randy ran the boat and helped us with gear both getting off the boat and back in.....he was a huge help to me and a great guy to BS with.

Overall, the Honolulu Scuba Company (Honolulu Scuba Company - Oahu scuba diving at it’s best!, 808-220-0577) was great to work with and gave me a discount for every consecutive day I dove with them....they have a great boat (their own) the MOEMAC, which is very comfortable and spacious, and they are staffed with terrific people. They also offer a full line of instruction, rental gear and both intro dives and snuba dives for beginners.

I would highly recommend them!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom