Unknown Ōakura fatality - New Zealand

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Two facts that I really wish reporters would confirm and state, but they usually don't...
  1. Was the deceased diving alone? It sounds like he was.
  2. Was the deceased found with full gear, including weights? Usually are.
A diver has died at the scene of a "water-related incident" near Whangārei, police say, after they were found unconscious in the water.

Police said officers were alerted to an unresponsive diver who had been retrieved from the water at around 5.20pm. The incident happened off the coast of Ōakura.

"Emergency services attempted to resuscitate them. However, sadly they died at the scene," a police spokesperson said.

"Police are making enquiries on behalf of the coroner."

The area is just up the road from me. I've dived there a few times. As per previous threads, SCUBA is used largely as a tool locally to collect sea food rather than being seen as a sport/hobby. Also, the media rarely makes a distinction between SCUBA and freediving in these articles.

Back
Top Bottom