Occidental Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is funny. I've never seen Mossman so restrained!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

What you don't know is that while you're taking divers to your secret shark caves, I'll be parasailing above you all geared up, ready to swoop down and invade.

The skydivers in Belize used to dive into the Blue Hole every year. Not so far fetched. Good to see you on such good behaviour Greg and as clever as ever. :)

Spent about ten days at Occidental the first part of Feb. Dove a couple dozen times using ProDive. Overall good experience. The sinking of Tres Hermanos occurred on my last day there and one of my acquaintances was on the boat. It was not their usual boat but one of the overflow or standby boats if the regular boat had mechanical issues.

The DMs are ok and a mixed bag. My wife and I enjoyed diving with Lee. Rental equipment was in good shape (I had my own but the wife rented suit, BC & reg.)

A few things I didn't really care for:

- overall they kept a strict dive time schedule (50 minutes first dive, 40 minutes second dive) instead of diving your air,
- they didn't change orings but valve inserts and I really doubted they went back through the valve inserts each evening to replace the orings. Out of 24 dives, I figure there were at least six times I had to ask for an oring change and this was way more than I've seen at other places. There a couple times they wanted me to go ahead and try the obviously crushed/worn oring instead of replacing the thing.
- dive lights for the night dives are what I would call backup lights not the more robust/larger dive lights.

Nitrox was free and that was a plus as I never got close to NDLs even diving morning, afternoon & night.

I'd dive with them again but then I don't have an established relationship with another outfit down there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

- they didn't change orings but valve inserts and I really doubted they went back through the valve inserts each evening to replace the orings. Out of 24 dives, I figure there were at least six times I had to ask for an oring change and this was way more than I've seen at other places. There a couple times they wanted me to go ahead and try the obviously crushed/worn oring instead of replacing the thing.
???

Why would you ask for a new o-ring if the existing o-ring works? Personally, I never inspect an o-ring when I gear up. If I turn the air on and there's a hiss, then I check. If not, it's good to go for at least that dive.

???

Why would you ask for a new o-ring if the existing o-ring works? Personally, I never inspect an o-ring when I gear up. If I turn the air on and there's a hiss, then I check. If not, it's good to go for at least that dive.

Yeah, why go through all that trouble to even see if there is an o-ring there when you can just listen for a loud leak?:shakehead:

Yeah, why go through all that trouble to even see if there is an o-ring there when you can just listen for a loud leak?:shakehead:
Exactly. Unless one is deaf. And it's usually easy enough to see if there's an o-ring since they usually happen to be black while the rest of the valve components are metallic.

There are plenty of o-rings in my reg, but I don't regularly inspect any of them either.

Exactly. Unless one is deaf. And it's usually easy enough to see if there's an o-ring since they usually happen to be black while the rest of the valve components are metallic.

There are plenty of o-rings in my reg, but I don't regularly inspect any of them either.

Jeez. I don't do any of that. My op might not valet my (non-existent) wetsuit, but THEY do listen to my tank and check my O ring. Many the time, the good Capitan Carlos has said to me, "Look Jefe: You needed a new O ring. I maybe just saved your life." That is the kind of service I need.

Probably would tell you to go with Deep Blue. Pro Dive can be covenient if you stay at the resort, but likely to be on crowded boats, strict schedule and restricted time.

Jeez. I don't do any of that. My op might not valet my (non-existent) wetsuit, but THEY do listen to my tank and check my O ring. Many the time, the good Capitan Carlos has said to me, "Look Jefe: You needed a new O ring. I maybe just saved your life." That is the kind of service I need.
Well, I was of course just speaking hypothetically. And from experiences elsewhere. Jeremy actually gets annoyed when I monkey with my own gear, even when I have to re-right the reg that they always insist on placing upside down. He's a very easy-going guy in general, but during his dive briefings I think he likes the sound of his own voice. Interruptions are poorly tolerated. His glare alone can probably kill lionfish.

Back
Top Bottom