Occidental "Vacation Club" High Pressure Sales Pitch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keithab

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We stayed at the Occidental Grand last week and were subjected to a "high pressure" sales pitch by the Occidental Vacation Club. Your concierge is very nice when you get there and they tell you that they want to take you to breakfast. They guilt you into it by telling you that they don't get commission if you don't go. They even wanted my fiance to lie and tell them we were living together. They also tell you it only takes an hour and a half and there is absolutely no problem if you are not interested. Don't believe it! They put a ton of pressure on us and took 3 hours of our time. They tell you tons of lies to make you believe it is a really great deal. They want $39k, $49k, or $59k up front depending on the tier. They also tell you "you only get these extra 4 weeks per year if you sign today." They are super nice until you say no. I was really turned off by this and next time I will tell them I am not even going to breakfast. I have read on the Internet where a lot of people have been ripped off by this outfit. Be forewarned if staying there.

But then you'll miss the free breakfast. Oh wait, the breakfast is always free. Hmm. Lol

I usually just have breakfast at the First Club. My friends have a vacation club membership and are nice enough to take me every year. Thank God they fell for that high pressure sales pitch!

sent from my rectangular phone with rounded corners using tapatalk

Reactions: Jax
Sorry you experienced that Keith! This is just one of the various reasons the all-inclusives on the island are not the most attractive option once you have been here.

Next time, consider renting a condo or staying at one of the nice boutique style/non AI hotels. There are so many great places to eat for every taste and budget, that it's really a waste to stay at an all-inclusive on this island. Other places it makes total sense - but here not as much!

I hope that your view of Cozumel was not tainted by this and that you'll be back soon!

I've been to the OG three times this year. Not once has anybody high pressured me to listen to a speech. I ate breadfast at the buffet everyday, right next door to the vacation desk. Again not once were we bothered. (except Sept. Occupancy was down and every meal was on the beach)
I wonder what they offered you to tolerate them for 3 hours?
While I do not agree with any high pressure for any reason, I've heard this is not the only place it happens. When we bought our refridgerator from Spencers, the salesman was attempting to "high pressure" me into a very expensive fridge. Like you, Keithab, I explained to him the front door swings both ways (in and out). He stopped the high pressure.
We met a diver last month who explained the vacation club. It did not sound good, so you did good by walking away!!
Vacation club salesman sound just like a used car salesman. Buyer be ware!!
Christi, there is a really nice boutique AI right across from the cruise ship pier. It is cheaper and kinda close to town. But, there is no beach and you will spend 45 each morning on a boat traveling to the many of the good dive sites. But, if that is what you want, I applaud you.
I don't want to cook and clean while on vacation, I want a sandy beach, I like 10 minutes or less to many of dive site. But, that's just me.
If you do the math (unless you stay in downtown someplace) an AI is about the same cost as a hotel/motel/condo and 3 meals a day. For a family, with children, an AI can be a real god send.

I think the best way to avoid things like this are to stay out of the 'tourist traps'. I'll agree with Rodesaz, that for families, especially with young children, they can be very safe and convenient. My question is: are you really going to mexico by staying in an AI? In a place like Cozumel, with a lower crime rate than most neighborhoods in the states, there's so much to see and enjoy downtown, and some very nice, much cheaper places to stay with all the amenities of an AI, besides the buffet and all you can drink bar. To fill that void, there are TONS of local restaurants and watering holes, as well as accessible beaches to enjoy. Now you get to see Mexico the way it truly is, rather than a hotel architect's design of Mexico. I've found that the culture and local flavor of a town like Cozumel faaaar outweigh the many benefits of an AI, and there's no way the cigar salesman on Melgar are going to trap you for 3 hours over breakfast!

What's wrong with an AI? The real way to avoid a high pressure time share sales pitch is to avoid the high pressure time share sales pitch.

They ask you if you want a free breakfast, a free rental car, a free pass to the beach club, a free donkey or whatever, all you gotta do is say no. Of if you're like me you say no and then give them the thumb motion to get the F out of your space.

Seriously, a free breakfast? That's insulting. You should have worked him for comping your entire stay, paid in cash, brought to your room the night before the breakfast in a neat little stack of crisp 20s.

Yes. A simple but emphatic NO has worked fine for me in my last 20 visits (or so). I try not to be rude. I do take the trinkets they occasionally offer. But I say "No thank you" without breaking stride.

Right. These guys hang out in the area just off of the main Lobby. They give the impression that they are your "handler" throughout your stay, and are not connected with any sales bit. I made it clear from the start that I am aware of the drill and was definitely not interested, and that is the last I heard from them beyond "buenos dias senor" and such. Otherwise, the Occ worked well. First time at an all-inclusive, but it worked well with a toddler in tow. With help from a nanny, Meryl and I were able to pull off 2 dives each morning. Not bad!

Some people just feel bad saying no. It was probably good practice for you. Eventually it won't be a problem. Sometimes I try to sell them something, it's always a great, awkward time. If it makes you feel better you should know that any decent salesperson knows that getting told no is just part of it.

We stayed at the OG twice. Said a simple "no thanks" each time. Never any issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom