Oceanic Atom 2 or VT3 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

floridanewbe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am interested in the atom and VT3 with transmitter. Does anyone have opinions or advice on the difference between the models?. Am I missing something obvious ? My present diving is OW no gas mixtures to worry about but plan to do advanced soon and broaden my knowledge.
The Ares Epic is also a consideration. Is it just the Atom 2 in a different formate or is it different ? is so how ?
Any help, advice or personal experience with these computers would really help
Rich

I had been looking into these dive computers a while back and found a thread covering this issue. I tried posting the link but it will not let me.

Differences:

The VT3 is a full size puck. And is a PDC only.
The Atom 2.0 is smaller because it's a wristwatch, as well as, PDC.
The VT3 has a separate Air Time Remaining (ATR) countdown in 10 minute increments (usefulness may vary by consumer).
Deep Sea Supply makes a cool and functional bungee mount for the VT3.

Similarities:

Pretty much everything else. Here's the official Oceanic Comparison Chart.

I use a VT3 as my primary and a Geo as my back-up. I'm happy with both.

Last edited:
I am interested in the atom and VT3 with transmitter. Does anyone have opinions or advice on the difference between the models?. Am I missing something obvious ? My present diving is OW no gas mixtures to worry about but plan to do advanced soon and broaden my knowledge.
The Ares Epic is also a consideration. Is it just the Atom 2 in a different formate or is it different ? is so how ?
Any help, advice or personal experience with these computers would really help
Rich

The Aeris and Oceanic computers are the same with a couple of cosmetic differences.
The Atom is a watch style computer that can be worn as a watch when not diving.

The VT3 is larger and a bit easier to read. The ascent graph, pO2 graph, and Nitrogen graph are more detailed and easier to read.

I prefer to dive with the VT3, but have used and enjoyed the Atom many times when travelling and when teaching. Go to your LDS and play with both of them. Both are excellent and effective.

The ascent graph, pO2 graph, and Nitrogen graph are more detailed and easier to read.
This is actually a really good point. The Atom, like the Geo uses the same graph icon to display nitrogen loading, PO2, and ascent rate. It just indicates which one the graph is representing at the present moment. The VT3 has a separate graph for each of them and all three graphs are constantly displayed.

I own each and it is hard to go wrong with either.
My wife now uses the VT3 it came down to her eyesight just isn't as good as mine and the size of the VT3 is easier for her to read.

Floridanewbe, did you ever end up getting one of those computers? I am in the same situation right now, looking at giving up my Suunto Cobera for an Oceanic VT3, or ATOM 2.0.

I just bought the Aeris version of the VT3 just because of the readability. If I were to want a watch, I'd get me a watch.

I'm in the same boat, but not so much for readability, but for button access. To purchase a multi-tank computer and not be able to manipulate the buttons to change gases underwater seems backwards. I have the VT3 and love it. The ability to change from bottom gas to stages easily and track all the tanks and pressures is nice.

I have the Atom and love it. I do remote trips to Baja Mexico and find that the small watch type computer is perfect for my needs. It's small and not bulky at all, and I have no trouble reading the readout.

Each to their own, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom