Oceanic CDX5/Delta 3 vs. Scubapro MK18/S600 or MK25/S600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

realdiver7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone know which reg set is the best for diving and working under strenuous conditions? Which one is the best all around for ease of breathing?

Oceanic CDX5/Delta 3

or

Scubapro MK18 or MK25/S600

Thank you.

MK25/S600 best breather and is DIR fail-open
I use a Y-valve and threw on a Poseidon Xstream for winter diving

realdiver7:
Does anyone know which reg set is the best for diving and working under strenuous conditions? Which one is the best all around for ease of breathing?

Oceanic CDX5/Delta 3

or

Scubapro MK18 or MK25/S600

Thank you.

I use a mk 18/G250 HP as my primary. I think that most will agree that the MK25 outperforms the MK 18 as far as breathing, but there are other things to consider. Lots of info on the 250 HP versus the 600 on the boards.

I am inland, and have a tendency to dive year-round, mostly blackwater currently. I like the diaphram for this (neither the 18 or 25 are environmentally sealed), as well as the 18's resistance to the cold. Basically, depends on what you are looking for relative to the conditons in which you dive... ie cold, deep, sediment & silt, et cet. Some people have posted that they have had problems with the 25 freezing, ask me about the 18 in January.

I can't speak to the oceanic line. If you are looking for data to compare, Scubapro has/ had the spec sheets for all the first and second stages on the UK web page. I tried to upload the images to the forum, got the size of file error message... send an email if you want them. I think oceanic has similar data in the back of the printed catalogue.

ended up getting the mk 18/G250 HP combo a few weeks ago, about 10-15 dives on this setup. Someone from the board steered me to an authorized SP dealer via my LDS, total price was $290 not including shipping. Absolutely no regrets.

This combo was being phased out in the US, and I think they are phasing it out of the UK as well. I heard rumors of a Mk 17 being developed, but no info on it.

Scubapro regulators are over-rated, over-hyped and over-priced. There are lots of great regulators out there for much less money than scubapro regs (zeagle ZX series, oceanic, aeris to name a few).
If you're gonna dive in cold water, less than 40F, go with a enviro-sealed diaphragm 1st coupled with a cold water second. Don't fall for the hype.

I have a delta3 and have used it in 38 degree water at 157 ft with no issues. I have the cdx5 first stage on primary with the delta and on the back up with a GT3. Sweet setup, reliable, customer service second to none, and they are not as anal with their dealers as ScubaPro.

The CDX-5 does have an environmental kit on it and is a solid first stage. My first reg setup was the CDX-5 with GT3 second stage, and I had no problems with it. I upgraded to the Delta 4 with FDX-10 first stage and the GT3 was moved to my pony. If you want the CDX-5 I would get the GT3 second as it has adjustable inhalation effort.

Thanks, the reviews on the cdx 5 have all been quite positive and it is a very inexpensive setup. But I'd prefer to make sure that breathing doesn't stop as I might have an allergic reaction to death.

Thanks, the reviews on the cdx 5 have all been quite positive and it is a very inexpensive setup. But I'd prefer to make sure that breathing doesn't stop as I might have an allergic reaction to death.

I have a GT3 cdx 5 And its a good breather,oceanic makes good regs
I have a ScubaPro MK 11 And i think the oceanic is a better breather!:D

Scubapro regulators are over-rated, over-hyped and over-priced. There are lots of great regulators out there for much less money than scubapro regs (zeagle ZX series, oceanic, aeris to name a few).
If you're gonna dive in cold water, less than 40F, go with a enviro-sealed diaphragm 1st coupled with a cold water second. Don't fall for the hype.

I think scuba Pro is A darn good company,but i do think they are a little over priced.
One thing i will say in there defense scubapro is that they upgrade there regs so there is a parts source even if the reg is 25 years old.
most companys like Mares just come out with something new every 5 years and so if you have an older reg too bad we dont make parts anymore.
You buy a scubaPro its a lifetime reg,that more then makes up for the one time over price.
To me thats the mark of a good company,taking care of its custumers way down the road.
there dealer service is about the best you will find.
The scubaPro MK17/g250 V is one of the best breathing regs out there.:D
I have a oceanic GT3 its a great breather,but have only used 2 times so i dont have much of a track record yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom