Review Oceanic iPhone Dive Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutely. But right out of the Apple store, it's not a dive computer. Apple as a company is not getting in the dive computer business. They saw a market, equipped the watch with a depth sensor and contracted a known entity in the dive computer business to port their software to the watch.,

... to create NEW software for the watch.

A couple of things.

I still have the housing. I emailed Huish 2 weeks ago to setup a return and they haven't responded yet.

So, if anybody wants this one, I'm happy to let it go for $400, shipped to the CONUS.

Second, a new version of the Oceanic+ app came out since I started this. Maybe it fixes the issues I reported. I don't know. I am somewhat encouraged to see now that Oceanic has been releasing updates every week or so since the housing came out. But, I'm not really planning to mess with it anymore, at this time.

Apple is in the dive biz now. You can quibble about how serious Apple is, or will be. You can quibble about how important-unimportant it is to the industry. You can quibble about your personally preferred word definitions.
LOL. And apparently you can quibble about anything. Sorry that not everybody is an Apple fanboy.

I am somewhat encouraged to see now that Oceanic has been releasing updates every week or so since the housing came out.
It is too bad they are asking the users to be beta (alpha?) testers instead of just trying to get it right in the first place.

[Apple] […] contracted a known entity in the dive computer business to port their software to the watch.,

Oceanic/Huish is not an Apple contractor.

The two companies partnered in the creation of a DC product.

Sorry that not everybody is an Apple fanboy.
Thanks so much for your thoughtful contribution.

It is too bad they are asking the users to be beta (alpha?) testers instead of just trying to get it right in the first place.
Outrageous, right? Who ever heard of a version 1.0 product having some post-launch problems?

Outrageous, right? Who ever heard of a version 1.0 product having some problems following launch.
Well, back in the day. I'm still diving an Oceanic VT3 computer that I bought in 2010. It has 1881 dives and 1977 hours on it. It works perfectly, including AI. Every dive has been successfully downloaded. I got a good one.

Personally, I think the bar has been lowered. What the hell, why get it right, fix it with a firmware upgrade, or the 10th, or the 20th? Improving a product is one thing, fixing errors and mistakes is another.

I am somewhat encouraged to see now that Oceanic has been releasing updates every week or so since the housing came out.

Yes, it seems like I’ve been pinged about an Oceanic update almost every week, for a while now.

Interesting. 9 updates to Oceanic+ in the last couple months:

IMG_3634.png

25 updates in the last year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom