Review Oceanic iPhone Dive Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have any experience with the DIveVolk phone cases?

I should note one other observation.

When I first started playing with it, on Friday, I put my phone in it while I was in the shop and my truck was parked close by outside.

With the phone in Airplane mode and the Oceanic app running, and the phone sealed inside the case, apparently it got signal from the Wireless Carplay in my truck. A CarPlay notification popped up on the screen. The only way I could dismiss it was to go through the process to open the case so I could actually touch the screen.

Does anyone have any experience with the DIveVolk phone cases?

We have one arriving at the shop in the next few days.

They are less expensive. I was told they are rated for just as deep as the Oceanic. And, apparently, it allows you to operate the touch screen, so you can do whatever you want with the phone, not just what one app allows.

I’m told that they are popular with cave divers who will stick it under a bungee on their deco cylinder that they stash near the cave entrance at the start of a dive. When they come back, pull out the Divevolk with their phone in it and watch a movie while doing deco.

It will be interesting to see how the software progresses. For the iPhone case-specific stuff, this is basically v1.0 code.

I have been writing software for a living for about 40 years now. There is an old adage in my field:

”Nobody will remember if it was late. Nobody will forget if it’s crap.”

This is (currently) crap. And not surprising, considering the Apple Watch version of the app has had so many bugs reported.

The more I read about iPhone cases and the trials and tribulations of using them, the more I’m convinced I made the right decision going with my SeaLife Micro 3.0 camera instead. No matter what you do, a cell phone in a case is a cell phone in a case!
I had to trade in my old iPhone to get the new one, and since I only have the one I’m using to call people and stuff. I really can’t see putting that at risk, no matter how good the case is supposed to be. Have I mentioned the guy I met in Nassau diving with his 13 year old daughter? His cased iPhone flooded so I had to share mine with him. Fortunately, I got a few good shots to send them.
Froggie 🐸

Attachments

• MICR0155.jpeg
    MICR0155.jpeg
    60.9 KB · Views: 65
I have been writing software for a living for about 40 years now. There is an old adage in my field:

”Nobody will remember if it was late. Nobody will forget if it’s crap.”

Three Key Characteristics of a "Minimum Viable Product"
  • MVP must present sufficient value that users will try it out.
  • It should show enough future benefit to retain early adopters.
  • It should provide a feedback loop to guide future development.

No matter what you do, a cell phone in a case is a cell phone in a case!

You say that like it's a bad thing. There are significant advantages too. Much easier sharing, and if you already have a smartphone-centric photo/video workflow, this fits in seamlessly. Image sensors in recent phones are excellent, and the new computational photography features are lightyears ahead of anything in dedicated action/underwater cameras.

Three Key Characteristics of a "Minimum Viable Product"
  • MVP must present sufficient value that users will try it out.
  • It should show enough future benefit to retain early adopters.
  • It should provide a feedback loop to guide future development.

By that measure, I’d call it a complete failure, then.

I would not have even tried it, were it not for getting it at dealer cost.

I’m returning it, not retaining it.

I am unaware of any feedback that I am providing to the developers for future improvements.

Who uses a phone to ring people these days?

I don't use a mobile, have we taken another step down and now speak text dude, thanks

Bottom line for me: I believe I will be returning this thing.
Matthias Lebo, whose reviews of cell phone u/w gear I trust, just published a video confirming a lot of what you found. Definitely not ready for prime time, which is less than ideal for a camera, much less one that is intended as critical safety gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom