Oceanic Mako annual service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

logandzwon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,
I got two Makos second hand about two years ago. Then I moved and had them in storage for about a year and finally got them back into the water for a little mini test adventure at a max of 25 feet. Now both are seeing some leaking into the battery compartment. Not a full flood, but maybe a half a cup. They didn’t leak when I first got them. I’m thinking they need o-rings, but it has me thinking and I’m what is normally done as part of a “yearly service” on these guys?

I don’t hear any indication of water in the motor sections. Should I proactively change the seals on those as well?

The Mako's have a history of the nose section leaking. It is usually from cracks in the noseplate area. This is the best way to find out is to place the nose cone in a bucket, nose down, and fill it about 20% with water. Let it set for about 8 hours and if there is water in the bucket, that's where your leak is. It's a pretty simple fix, just clean and dry it and use a marine sealant like 3M 5200 to seal the cracks. I would test it again in the bucket to make sure you got all the leaks. I would definitely replace the 2 o-rings between the nose and center section(available from DPV repair) if they have been sitting that long. Most of the Mako's that a test plug in the centersection that can be removed to see if there is water in the motor compartment. Be sure to put silicone sealent on the plug when you are done.

An Apollo, but it goes a little bit like this

full.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom