Oceanic Pioneer Mask - Is this normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stankdagger

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all - new to the board, I'm starting my first NAUI certification class tonight and my new Oceanic Pioneer mask came in yesterday. It fits great and looks even better. I did notice what could be an issue with the seam between the metal frame and the rubber skirt. And I just wanted to see if anybody has noticed this on their Pioneer mask or if its nothing to be worried about. On the side of the mask I noticed that there is a small gap between the rubber skirt and the metal frame - through which I can see the side of the lens. Here is a photo of my mask:

Photo of Mask

Notice the gap between the rubber skirt and the metal frame.

This is on both sides of the mask...The top and bottom of the mask are flush - its only on the sides there is a small gap. I haven't tried the mask to see if it leaks yet - I guess I'll find out tonight, but any input from pioneer owners would be greatly appreciated. I tried calling oceanic but they were unsure if that was normal or not. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Your responses might be better if you would resize the photo.

I have a wide screen monitor and I am only seeing just over half the pic without horizontal scrolling, and very few members bother to horizontal scroll (I don't).

Use a photo editor program; resize to 72 resolution and no more than 600 pixels on the horizontal dimension.

Thankyou verryy muuucch :elvis:

Does the mask seal I place on your face (no strap to the back of your head) use 2 fingers to hold the mask on breath in thro your nose and see if it will stick there ? if it does ok so far if it sucks air thro that gap u need to send it back return it and rent or borrow one till it gets fixed

Thanks for the replies.

I edited the original post so it has a link to the photo - the photo editing features on my phone are limited.

@scubadoguk yes the mask appears to be sealed as far as suction goes, but I haven't taken it underwater yet. I'll find out tonight - I just don't want it to be a problem that will get worse over time. I'm hoping another owner can let me know if they see the same thing on their mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom