Oceanic Veo 100 NX keeps flooding!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phlegm

Contributor
Reaction score
So I recently bought a second hand Oceanic Veo 100 NX off ebay. Looked to be in good nick. When it arrived the battery was almost dead but the unit was in perfect working order, the previous owner had completely filled the log so it clearly must have worked for all those dives.

Replaced the battery, took it diving, and it flooded within seconds. Ended up with brownish residue all over the inside of the battery housing, presumably from water coming in contact with the battery.

Cleaned it out with 50% water 50% vinegar as per the manual's instructions, dried it out overnight. Bought some silicone grease and another new battery, greased up the o ring and put the unit back together as slowly and carefully as I could. Went diving again, it lasted maybe 3 minutes underwater before flooding again.

Anybody had any experience with this computer? Any tips on how to do the battery replacement successfully? I swear I'm following the manufacturer's instructions to the letter. All that's left to do that I can think of is to source a new o ring (where on earth would I find the exact one I need?).

Cheers.

These computers have the worst possible battery door. Do you have the tool to turn the door? It is difficult to change the battery with the tool and I wouldn't try it without it. The O-rings are available with batteries on Ebay. I don't know the size offhand but a store that had a lot of o-rings would have it in stock, I do. Put the o-ring around the cover, not in the housing with your thumb through the retainer so you can push with your thumb on the cover and start the retainer. Then turn it with the tool without releasing pressure, not easy.

If anyone has a better procedure I want it. I like the computers but hate the battery door design.

Yeah I have the tool, and I installed it as you said: maintaining constant pressure, threading the o ring onto the cover first (this was my error the first time so I rectified it for take two).

Totally agree about the door. Just doesn't feel terribly secure, and is evidently very temperamental about how you install it.

Just annoying, I'd really like to actually use the computer.

BRT is right, that's the best way to install a battery in the Veo series.

Instead of waiting until your dive to test the housing, turn the computer on and throw it in a glass of water and see if it floods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the grease and the batteries are like gone bucks from the hardware store so I really only need to find the I rings, cheers though.

So I guess you really do have to replace the o ring with every battery then?

---------- Post added February 13th, 2015 at 02:53 AM ----------

Oh, last question. Is it safe to try installing the same flooded battery again? Like can I clean out the unit and have another go or is that ill advised? I threw it the first battery but I'm getting a little sick of continually buying new ones

I actually finally set up a filter housing for a pressure tester so I could test them with fresh water and look for bubbles. A correct fit puts out a few small bubbles and I have not tested a leaky fit yet. Too bad the cover isn't clear enough to see water in it. And this design from a company that had a foolproof design for years!

I have the grease and the batteries are like gone bucks from the hardware store so I really only need to find the I rings, cheers though.

So I guess you really do have to replace the o ring with every battery then?

---------- Post added February 13th, 2015 at 02:53 AM ----------

Oh, last question. Is it safe to try installing the same flooded battery again? Like can I clean out the unit and have another go or is that ill advised? I threw it the first battery but I'm getting a little sick of continually buying new ones

When a battery compartment floods, you need to correct the cause of the flood before installing new batteries. Most of the time, the problem is the o-ring but there can be other causes. If the o-ring looks good, you should look for other causes. If unsure, test the seal without a battery rather than sacrificing another new battery.

I often inspect and reuse o-rings when I change batteries as long as flooding did not occur.

Another problem is that there may be a crack in the battery cover that's causing the flood. That was the problem I had with a computer I bought off eBay that kept flooding. Replaced the cover at my LDS and then everything was golden. Went through 3 batteries first though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These Veos have no way to make sure the o-ring stays in place as you install the cover and if you don't keep even pressure on the cover after you start the install the o-ring WILL get out of place. There is no way to tell if it is out of place except your battery floods. On the previous Oceanics you could hardly figure out a way to get the cover wrong. On the Veos you can hardly get it right. Good computer-terrible battery door. So far I have not seen a bad o-ring or a difference between used and new ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom