Oceanic Veo 100 NX keeps flooding!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damn. This matches my experience exactly. Hard to tell if my issue is user error or old o ring. It looks fine, but I'm wondering if it might be ever so slightly stretched. Seems to fit on the cover easily, I'd it supposed to stretch of onto it for a tight fit?

I do it with the oring in the housing. A 180, 200 and 2.0. Several hundred dives on each with no floods. I replace the oring annually from an oceanic kit. Scubatoys had an ok price.. its tricky but once u get used to it you can feel when its in all the way. Oh and the things are real picky on batteries! I use only sony or panny.

I found out the hard way not to put too much silicon on the oring.

I'm having a hard time determining whether or not the o ring is forming a proper seal. it seems to sit 'on' the housing rather than slotting into it like I had expected. My LDS wants $40 to replace the battery for me which sounds pretty steep but i suppose is probably worth it to ensure the damn thing functions

I don't know anything about that computer, but I've been messing with o-rings in camera housings for a long time. I can tell you that the only way to REALLY inspect an o-ring is under a really bright light, preferably with a magnifier. The tiniest little crack or nick in it can make the difference. Testing it in a glass of water will only work if you have a massive leak. It's the pressure you need to properly test it.

O-rings should only be lightly lubricated and you need to use the correct type of silicone... some will cause the o-ring to swell, while others can damage the plastic in the computer itself.

It would be good if you could find out if a flooded battery compartment can damage the guts of that computer. I don't thing many computers have truly watertight battery compartments. You might be wasting your time with all of this. If you got water into the guts, it's likely pooched anyway. If this happened recently, you might consider the old rice-in-a-bag thing for a couple of days.

I'm having a hard time determining whether or not the o ring is forming a proper seal. it seems to sit 'on' the housing rather than slotting into it like I had expected. My LDS wants $40 to replace the battery for me which sounds pretty steep but i suppose is probably worth it to ensure the damn thing functions

$40 is absurd unless it comes with a computer replacement guarantee (and it does not).

You can get o-rings for much less than $1 and the battery for under $5. Your shop must be including the cost of a tube of K-Y jelly.

See if this helps: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...er-battery-o-ring-specs.html?highlight=o-ring

Flooding the battery compartment of one of these does not seem to flood the computer. Salt water does not do the battery compartment any good but if cleaned out right away it seems to work. (Voice of experience)

Testing it in a glass of water will only work if you have a massive leak. It's the pressure you need to properly test it.

The glass of water test was more to make sure you put the battery door and new o-ring on properly, not so much to pressure test an old o-ring. If you've seated the door incorrectly, the battery compartment will flood, since it will be a major leak.

It's more a "if it does leak in the glass of water, you know you've ****ed up. If it doesn't, go try it under pressure"

Flooding the battery compartment of one of these does not seem to flood the computer. Salt water does not do the battery compartment any good but if cleaned out right away it seems to work. (Voice of experience)

I also agree. Washing it out with fresh water and a bit of scrubbing with a tooth brush works well.

thanks for all the responses. I've tried a combination of methods, but long story short the computer has been cleaned out and I may got my LDS to change the battery. They quoted $35 and inexplicably charged me $10 so I'm not complaining. They're saying they'll take full responsibility if it floods so yep all smooth sailing from here

---------- Post added February 18th, 2015 at 02:59 AM ----------

incidentally, I put the housing cover in an ultrasound cleaner for a few minutes and it worked wonders on getting rid of the minute amounts of gunk that had accumulated on it

I believe that o ring is a 026 but I can't guarantee it. I've had better luck putting the o ring inside the battery housing first and not on the window. Be careful putting silicone on the o ring. It's easy to stretch the ring if you pull it through your fingers.

I've always tested mine in the deep end of a pool before taking it on a trip too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom