Oceanic VTX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tneal15

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been looking at possibly getting the VTX. I had a Suunto D4i with a transmitter, but it was stolen last month so I am in the market for a new computer. Does anyone have experience with this computer or knows anything about it?

Thanks,

Troy

I ise aeris a300cs which is the same thing basically, i love it, screen is easy to read, more liberal than my uwatec or suunto, has bluetooth so you can download logs stright to your computer, battery life sucks but you can replace it yourself in under 2mins, im pretty sure you will be happy with the computer if you will get it

Have you had any issues with it not connecting?

I have owned the VTX and ended up selling it. I just didn't care for the display when you try to read it in the sunlight. You really just can't see it. If you can get in the shade, it is OK, but not great. I also had to send my first one back to Oceanic and get it exchanged because the transmitter had very poor range, less than 20 inches. Oceanic was great about exchanging the VTX, but that display just stinks when you are performing a surface interval and you try to read it.

Good luck

I just bought my VTX a few weeks ago and was really excited to have a screen I could read easily. Like you Texas Boy I quickly found out that I could not read anything on the computer above 40-50' in a bright sunshine day. Thankfully I had my Sunnto Zoop as a backup otherwise I never would have been able to find or timed my safety stop. It is going back to the shop as soon as I return from the Caymans. Once in the sunlight there is no change of reading anything on this computer. I can't believe that Oceanic believes this is a viable and safe product. Another guy on my last dive boat just got his too and was sick over it as well. He too is returning his to his dive shop.

I will say if it is cloudy out the VTX was awesome, but that was one day of six so far. The other five, I just keep hoping some miracle would happen to let you read the screen. (I only wore it to get my air usage stats back at the condo.)

Before you spend the money - take it outside in the sun.

I have the A300 cs and I had to send it in before I even used it (still waiting on it to get fixed). I updated the firmware then the unit would not turn on. I just wanted air integrated otherwise I would have kept the Petrel 2. I can see the display in direct sunlight but it is difficult.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom