Oceanic Whitetip Attacks in Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FritzCat66

Florida Reef Cat
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It seems this story would be related, altho maybe not accurate...?
Egypt Shark Attack Prompted by Dead Sheep? | World | Epoch Times
Egypt Shark Attack Prompted by Dead Sheep?

Two Egypt shark attacks that left four people injured may have been caused by a ship dumping dead sheep into the water, AFP has reported.

Egyptian Governor Abdel Fadil Shosha told the news agency that the shark attacks, which involved two sharks in separate incidents attacking three Russian and one Ukrainian tourists, may have been spurred by a livestock-transporting ship dumping dead sheep overboard into the ocean.

The attacks occurred on Tuesday and Wednesday near the tourist destination of Sharm el-Sheikh, on the southern tip of the Sinai Peninsula in eastern Egypt, AFP said.

The attacks left one woman without a foot and another without an arm. All victims are now hospitalized in Cairo, Egypt’s capital.

A portion of Sharm el-Sheikh’s beach was closed on Thursday as a precaution, Shosha added.

The two sharks were white tip sharks and have been captured, AP reported, citing the Egyptian Environment Ministry.

Didn't I read that one "attack" was believed to be by a mako?

Hi Dr Bill, a mako was captured and killed, but the attacks are believed to all have been by a longimanus oceanic whitetip. The second shark killed was also not a longimanus, but was originally falsely identified. The shark that was seen in the incidents has a chunk out of it's caudal or dorsal fin. The government originally said the specific individual was to be caught and relocated, but they were immediately killed and autopsied.

According to articles and pictures linked to in the above thread, they have already killed at least 6 sharks. There is now a bounty on sharks killed and fisherman are being offered a month's wages for killing sharks, apparently any species. :(

Now what can be done to stop the slaughter?

I just saw this news article in my AP feed - Tourists warned after Red Sea shark attacks four - so I immediately came to ScubaBoard for details.

Of course I wasn't disappointed, everyone's on top of it here. However, the thread is in the Red Sea forum and some might have missed it, so I thought it worthwhile to post a link to that discussion here in Accidents and Incidents: Suspension of all diving and watersports activities in Sharm el Sheikh

Thanks FritzCat for posting the link about Suspension of diving - some very interesting discussions going on over there!

Trish

There's been another shark attack in Sharm, this time a German snorkeller, and she died of her injuries, apparently right away. There are articles posted if you follow the link above to the Suspension of all Diving thread.

BTW, according to the rumour control thread also in the Red Sea forum, a mako was confirmed to be the perpetrator of one of the attacks and it is believed to have been the individual that was captured and killed.

The longimanus has apparently not been captured. I fear the number of sharks of all species that are/will be killed in that search...

Please see my posts in the red sea forum for further information. There are now four attacks, one fatal. Due to bite patterns, one is believed to be from a Mako which was later caught.

I said that this particular attack was confirmed - but perhaps I did not use the right wording - it's difficult to say, but Makos are rare here, and the bite pattern fits the shark that was killed. The first two incidents were witnessed and assuredly a longimanus - this shark has not been caught and it is the most likely culprit in the death of the german swimmer earlier today.

Authorities are trying to stop the needless slaughter of sharks, and as from tomorrow, only authorised boats will be allowed to set sail. The police and maritime authorities are patrolling and although their resources are limited, they are doing their best.

For further info, I will keep posting in the Red Sea forum... I live and work in the area and will do my best to provide information I am given to be accurate at the time. Most press reports are B.S.

Cheers

C.

Back
Top Bottom