Oceanic Zeta CDX-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going well, I'll PM you so as not to detract this un-detractable thread.

c

Will you please stop insulting the board and ANSWER THE QUESTION!. Two respondents have now asked to to clarify your statement about "mouthpiece twiching "and you have spent the time to reply twice rudely and SNIDELY. If you have the time to insult repeatedly, perhaps you could find the time to answer the question.
Another round of your snide comments without answering the question will serve as proof to me and the others waiting your answer that you DO NOT HAVE ONE.
If an honest mistake in syntax has been made, admit it. If not, show the board that you are qualified to run an LDS. Afterall, someones life may depend on whether or not their mouthpiece twitches.....

This from the MD of Oceanic in the UK:

"there are three sizes of mouth piece sm,md,long, that is for the gagging issue they have had with that mouthpiece, if you look at the mouthpiece down into the reg itself you will see the mouthpiece is more elongated then oval or round as are normal m/Pieces, when switching on the bottle it creates a very strong gush of air, this in turn pulls the lugs of the mouthpiece toward each other (hence the 'twitch added by DD) and creates a barrier in the flow of air and creates a back up of air, this in turn forces the diaphram off the control valve and stops it continuing to free flow. "

You are more than welcome to take this issue further with this gentleman. I will not put his name here but if you send an e-mail to oceanic uk im sure he will verify that these are his words not mine.
as for being snide, see my previous reply.
qualified to run and LDS, i neither have the inclination or the desire to justify anything to you. My customers speak for themselves.
Insulting the board? I think you may want to reconsider that as you have thrown nothing but abuse in my direction.
Hopefully thats the end of this discussion, but well see

I have sent your response to Oceanic...I will be happy for them to explain how the actuation of the downstream pilot valve can physically bend the mouthpiece tabs together! and stop the freeflow of air. This should be interesting.....

cool....id be interested too as i dont understand it either, but i have seen it in action and there is a visible twitch, minute but visible. The guys from oc are going to track down some paperwork on it for me so when i get that i will see if i can upload it

Please explain how the previously stated physical movement of the bite tabs together as now been reduced to a minute twitch. Perhaps you mistake the reaction of the entire second stage to the actuation of the downstram pilot valve? Regarding "paperwork "from oceanic, your previous obfuscations on this matter insisted that the action was described in the manual.....
I quote:

As for the mouthpeice, if you can find your manual i suggest you read it. You will find what is suggested written in there. Secondly the life time warranty is valid and useful unless you chose not to service your regulators.

Its getting deeper....

Pro99, this Zeta regulator looks like a can of worms. Buy a simple regulator that you can learn to service yourself. Clem is right, parts are free and labor will eat you alive. BTW, common sense says to stay away from anything that "twitches".

Ask yourself about your own motives. If price is a driver then one should also look at long term costs. A miniature, servo assisted regulator is just another Micra or Pilot; it's cute, breathes good and is a pain in the pocketbook. That is what happens when parts must be viewed with a magnifier and handled with tweezers.

All this talk about "effortless breathing" is overrated. It only means something if diving regularly to 500 fsw. At that point, get a Poseidon. For sport divers (admit it) the technology of demand regulators has advanced so far that almost any basic product sold by a reputable firm will be very good to excellent.

He does make a good point!

Bob, my zeta/dx4 with enviromental kit, factory installed,has cost me NO MORE in labor costs over its six years of ownership than my first regulator, a Genesis Valor. Remember those? Hockey puck style with 1950's open piston technology? Sold until the very late 1990's if memory serves...
I even used my valor octo as my zeta octo for four years...until its exhaust tee ...went somewhere...
I am still waiting for some response from Oceanic to put to bed the entire idea that a regulator mouthpiece can "twitch" and stop free flow.
PS. The easier a reg breathes in usually indicates how easily it allows a nice slow, slow, slow exhale. The zeta makes all non pilot valve technology regs seem to breathe as if you are sucking through a straw.....Once you realise that you can "sip" your air, calmly...your exhalation will be as smooth. and your improved SAC rate will astound you!

Last edited:
I just had my Zeta service this weeknow the primary reg free flows and the alternate is very hard to breath thru What a mess it was great before I had it serviced
Does anyone have access to a service /repair manual
Thanks in advance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom