Octo Orientation - perhaps a twist on "the norm"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I like having my SPG on my right and having the secondary on the left makes it more comfortable for another diver to use. A little talk before the dive should be sufficient to let your buddy know what's what.

I often hear or read something along these lines when someone is rationalizing a personal choice that has the potential to impact others. It occurs to me that of the OOA incidents I've either read or heard about, very few have been a buddy pair.

Secondly, when things get stressed, a person's first reaction won't typically be to recollect pre-dive conversations as they formulate their plan to resolve their OOA situation. Chances are, they'll react as they trained until panic sets in.
I once watched a diver casually switch to a pony reg that had not been charged. The look of surprise, then realization and then urgency... the guy fumbles for his valve (he couldn't see it) and deftly unscrews his yoke.... He'd dived this rig before and knew what was what.

I often hear or read something along these lines when someone is rationalizing a personal choice that has the potential to impact others. It occurs to me that of the OOA incidents I've either read or heard about, very few have been a buddy pair.

Secondly, when things get stressed, a person's first reaction won't typically be to recollect pre-dive conversations as they formulate their plan to resolve their OOA situation. Chances are, they'll react as they trained until panic sets in.
I once watched a diver casually switch to a pony reg that had not been charged. The look of surprise, then realization and then urgency... the guy fumbles for his valve (he couldn't see it) and deftly unscrews his yoke.... He'd dived this rig before and knew what was what.

I'm not sure I completely agree with your premise. I think the reality is that new divers are shown how to share gas in OW, and then commonly don't practice it. If they go a few years without ever practicing a sharing gas, then when they need to, the pre-dive conversation might be the first thing that pops into their mind.

On they other hand if they practice gas sharing on a regular basis, they will likely be more calm if they actually need to share gas, and because of this their thought process will probably be more systematic in evaluating how to get a regulator from their buddy.

I'll add that this is pure speculation. I have never been in an OOG situation (me or any buddies), and I am not a psychologist, so I have nothing to back up my assumptions on what an OOG diver will, or won't do.

Wait who teaches the left shoulder? Padi taught the right shoulder, and I always figured the rest of the recreational folks do the same thing.

My bad. Glad you caught it. Yes - top right d-ring on BC.

I don't have to rationalize my choice. It's the best way to configure my rig and I like it. No rationalization needed.

That is the single best reason you could ever have for diving a din regulator on stages and back gas. I pulled the same stunt, sans the emergancy. Swimming along and reached back to turn on my pony bottle reg and got the 1st stage in my hand instead....WTF! Shortly after that I switched to all din first stages.
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom