Octo-Z on Halcyon BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gearbow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi I have a question about the Octo-Z Octo-Z . I created quite the stir at my local dive shop Adventures in Scuba in Calgary Canada when I had my Octo-Z serviced on my Zeagle Zeus BCD. When I returned to pick up my Octo and BCD I had also brought a new BCD that I wanted to try out on the trip I was leaving for in the Bahamas. A Halcyon Infinity Halcyon Infinity | Halcyon. I wanted to take the Octo-Z from the Zeagle and use it on the Halcyon. I was told it would not work on my Halcyon as it did not have the feature of the pull to release cable for the dump valve and that that cable was designed to hold the Octo in place. I said I did not believe that was the case and did not make sense since even the halcyon infiltrator piece and all oral power infiltrators have the hole to put the cable in place but not all BCD's support that system. Does not mean you can not attach those safely?

The manager further insisted it was not safe and instructed her staff to not help or aid me in the switch of Octo-Z to my halcyon BCD. 20150123_154933.jpg

Not only that she wrote on my invoice and had me sign my name that i had altered in a unsafe manner and was not a trained technician and they would not be responsible in any way. I kind of thought she was being over dramatic and since I was already a half hour late for the airport was a little annoyed that she would not help me with change over. Seems simple enough to me remove the twist ties pull it of the hose from the Zeagle and then put on the Halcyon and add zip ties.

20150123_154945.jpg

Those are the pictures of the switch over.

I tightened the zip ties and then showed Jen that i could pull very hard on this ( Not a small guy 230 lbs oil worker). I am a mechanical guy and also TDI cave certified so minor modifications and connecting of hoses and such are definitely within my technical level as far as i am concerned but again this did not convince her.

But after all this I do not know for certain if she is correct that without using the cable to the dump valve, is this Octo-Z safe as I have connected???

it's not unsafe, will be fine. Simpler option would have been to just swap the whole inflator assembly over as the bladder side of the connections are all pretty universal

I think you my want to look into finding another shop or talk to the owner about this incident. The manager is wofully uninformed or believes that the only way is the way she knows to be running a shop.

If the male end of the coupling fits in the hose it will work. The cable is to operate the shoulder dump valve, no valve no cable.

If if you are using a BC with the dump valve on the shoulder two zip ties on each end of the hose is a good idea just to help keep the hose attached.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom